Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I sum #s in a column based on dates in another column

I have a spreadsheet that has MANY values. One column provies the size of a
file, and another corresponding column provides the date the file was created
(month, day, year -- and some have times). What kind of formula/macro can I
create that will sum the sizes of the files that correspond to certain dates?
For Example:
COLUMN A COLUMN B
34 Jul 20, 2004
2009 Jul 20, 2004
3 Aug 11, 2005
20006 Feb 3, 2006 11:15
23 Feb 3, 2006 11:15
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If your add-ins are installed, use the conditional sum wizard via the
tools--Wizards menu path.

Otherwise, use SUMIF as an array formula.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"prgmme" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that has MANY values. One column provies the size of a
file, and another corresponding column provides the date the file was created
(month, day, year -- and some have times). What kind of formula/macro can I
create that will sum the sizes of the files that correspond to certain dates?
For Example:
COLUMN A COLUMN B
34 Jul 20, 2004
2009 Jul 20, 2004
3 Aug 11, 2005
20006 Feb 3, 2006 11:15
23 Feb 3, 2006 11:15

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Look in Help to learn about SUMIF
or try SUMPRODUCT, see
http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

The come back if more help needed
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"prgmme" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that has MANY values. One column provies the size of
file, and another corresponding column provides the date the file was
created
(month, day, year -- and some have times). What kind of formula/macro can
create that will sum the sizes of the files that correspond to certain
dates?
For Example:
COLUMN A COLUMN B
34 Jul 20, 2004
2009 Jul 20, 2004
3 Aug 11, 2005
20006 Feb 3, 2006 11:15
23 Feb 3, 2006 11:15

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually that doesn't help too much. You see, my data set is about 85000
values (yes i have info on multiple sheets, but that's a different problem)
So the date fields range from jan2004 to aug2006. I can use the sumif, if
there weren't too many date values to choose from--i guess i just hard code
them?--, but I have too many. Is there anything else that I can use? Or
is there a way to use sumproduct/sumif for values that are not static?

I tried to use sumproduct and do a monthly comparison but it didn't work.
So basically:

if(month/day/year <=date in COLUMNB <= month/day/year)
then sum COLUMNA