Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Batch renaming of many worksheets in Excel files?

Help please. A MatLab 7.2 program must read 1000 files created in Excel
2000. The current system has Excel 2003 and has different rules for sheet
names. It will not allow MatLab 7.2 to read what it considers flawed files.
The Excel files are in a directory with other files. How can I change the
names of two sheets on each of 1000 files without it being a one-at-the-time
process?
--
James L. Smith
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Please don't post the same question multiple times.

As I indicated earlier, the rules for naming sheets in Excel 2000 are the
same as those in Excel 2003. They are system-level limitations, not
Excel-specific limitations.

Perhaps the files you are trying to open are corrupted.

"Lumen S" wrote:

Help please. A MatLab 7.2 program must read 1000 files created in Excel
2000. The current system has Excel 2003 and has different rules for sheet
names. It will not allow MatLab 7.2 to read what it considers flawed files.
The Excel files are in a directory with other files. How can I change the
names of two sheets on each of 1000 files without it being a one-at-the-time
process?
--
James L. Smith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The files are not corrupted, the worksheets open in Excel 2000 with
characters no longer allowed in Excel 2003. By his reply, Dave may have made
an earlier comment that did not get attached to this thread.
--
James L. Smith