Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Vlookup - dynamic range reference?

I am trying to do a vlookup that will look in a different range based on
an input cell.

=vlookup(d1,b1,2,false) where b1 changes to different sheets (i.e. if
b1 = adam, then look in named range adam).

would also like to do it without using named ranges but seem to be
stuck. I tried using indirect(b1) but that didn't work.

thanks in advance

Adam

--
aseanor
aseanor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29161

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

don't want to use nested ifs as there are about 12 possible ranges

--
aseanor
aseanor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29161
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=572769

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why didn't this work?
=vlookup(d1,indirect(b1),2,false)

Are you sure you had a named range for the value in B1?

Did it consist of at least 2 columns?

aseanor wrote:

I am trying to do a vlookup that will look in a different range based on
an input cell.

=vlookup(d1,b1,2,false) where b1 changes to different sheets (i.e. if
b1 = adam, then look in named range adam).

would also like to do it without using named ranges but seem to be
stuck. I tried using indirect(b1) but that didn't work.

thanks in advance

Adam

--
aseanor
aseanor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29161
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=572769

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I made the named range myself.

I was able to get the formula to work if I used indirect to concatenate
the actual range address from the sheet name and the cell references but
if I used indirect(c2) where c2 = range name, I get an answer but the
wrong one.

named range: bmo
28
sheet1 =B4&"!" c4:p24 <= using cells to assemble range reference
=VLOOKUP(D3,INDIRECT(C2),2) {doesn't work, gives wrong answer)
=VLOOKUP(D3,INDIRECT($C4&D4),2,FALSE) {works, but would rather use
name}

=VLOOKUP(D3,bmo,2,FALSE) {this was my check, it worked fine}

thanks for your help.

Adam

--
aseanor
aseanor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29161
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=572769

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I was afraid of that. I have attached a zip of the sample file. Maybe
that will help.

Thanks again

Adam

aseanor wrote:

[...]

View this thread:

Dave Peterson

|Filename: vlookup.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=5225 |

aseanor
aseanor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29161
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=572769

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe this version:

=VLOOKUP(D3,INDIRECT(C2),2) {doesn't work, gives wrong answer)

give the incorrect answer because you didn't include FALSE as the last
argument.

aseanor wrote:
I made the named range myself.

I was able to get the formula to work if I used indirect to concatenate
the actual range address from the sheet name and the cell references but
if I used indirect(c2) where c2 = range name, I get an answer but the
wrong one.

named range: bmo
28
sheet1 =B4&"!" c4:p24 <= using cells to assemble range reference
=VLOOKUP(D3,INDIRECT(C2),2) {doesn't work, gives wrong answer)
=VLOOKUP(D3,INDIRECT($C4&D4),2,FALSE) {works, but would rather use
name}

=VLOOKUP(D3,bmo,2,FALSE) {this was my check, it worked fine}

thanks for your help.

Adam

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There are lots of people who won't open attachments. (I don't.) There are lots
of people who don't connect to the newsgroups through excelforum so they can't
open the attachment even if they wanted to.

You're going to limit the number of responses by including attachments.

If you try explaining your problem in plain text, you may get some answers.