Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I print a LIST of documents in a folder

I want to print a LIST of documents in a folder without having to print the
actual documents. I need to do this to compare documents in two seperate
folders for duplication.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Option Explicit

Private cnt As Long
Private arfiles
Private level As Long

Sub Folders()
Dim i As Long
Dim sFolder As String
Dim iStart As Long
Dim iEnd As Long
Dim fOutline As Boolean

arfiles = Array()
cnt = -1
level = 1

sFolder = "E:\"
ReDim arfiles(2, 0)
If sFolder < "" Then
SelectFiles sFolder
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
On Error Resume Next
Worksheets("Files").Delete
On Error GoTo 0
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Worksheets.Add.Name = "Files"
With ActiveSheet
For i = LBound(arfiles, 2) To UBound(arfiles, 2)
If arfiles(0, i) = "" Then
If fOutline Then
Rows(iStart + 1 & ":" & iEnd).Rows.Group
End If
With .Cells(i + 1, arfiles(2, i))
.Value = arfiles(1, i)
.Font.Bold = True
End With
iStart = i + 1
iEnd = iStart
fOutline = False
Else
.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=.Cells(i + 1, arfiles(2, i)), _
Address:=arfiles(0, i), _
TextToDisplay:=arfiles(1, i)
iEnd = iEnd + 1
fOutline = True
End If
Next
.Columns("A:Z").ColumnWidth = 5
End With
End If
'just in case there is another set to group
If fOutline Then
Rows(iStart + 1 & ":" & iEnd).Rows.Group
End If

Columns("A:Z").ColumnWidth = 5
ActiveSheet.Outline.ShowLevels RowLevels:=1
ActiveWindow.DisplayGridlines = False

End Sub

'-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub SelectFiles(Optional sPath As String)
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Static FSO As Object
Dim oSubFolder As Object
Dim oFolder As Object
Dim oFile As Object
Dim oFiles As Object
Dim arPath

If FSO Is Nothing Then
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
End If

If sPath = "" Then
sPath = CurDir
End If

arPath = Split(sPath, "\")
cnt = cnt + 1
ReDim Preserve arfiles(2, cnt)
arfiles(0, cnt) = ""
arfiles(1, cnt) = arPath(level - 1)
arfiles(2, cnt) = level

Set oFolder = FSO.GetFolder(sPath)
Set oFiles = oFolder.Files
For Each oFile In oFiles
cnt = cnt + 1
ReDim Preserve arfiles(2, cnt)
arfiles(0, cnt) = oFolder.Path & "\" & oFile.Name
arfiles(1, cnt) = oFile.Name
arfiles(2, cnt) = level + 1
Next oFile

level = level + 1
For Each oSubFolder In oFolder.Subfolders
SelectFiles oSubFolder.Path
Next
level = level - 1

End Sub

#If VBA6 Then
#Else
'-----------------------------**-----------------------------*-*------
Function Split(Text As String, _
Optional Delimiter As String = ",") As Variant
'-----------------------------**-----------------------------*-*------
Dim i As Long
Dim sFormula As String
Dim aryEval
Dim aryValues

If Delimiter = vbNullChar Then
Delimiter = Chr(7)
Text = Replace(Text, vbNullChar, Delimiter)
End If

sFormula = "{""" & Application.Substitute(Text, Delimiter, """,""") &
"""}"
aryEval = Evaluate(sFormula)
ReDim aryValues(0 To UBound(aryEval) - 1)
For i = 0 To UBound(aryValues)
aryValues(i) = aryEval(i + 1)
Next

Split = aryValues

End Function

'---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Public Function InStrRev(stringcheck As String, _
ByVal stringmatch As String, _
Optional ByVal start As Long = -1)
'---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dim iStart As Long
Dim iLen As Long
Dim i As Long

If iStart = -1 Then
iStart = Len(stringcheck)
Else
iStart = start
End If

iLen = Len(stringmatch)

For i = iStart To 1 Step -1
If Mid(stringcheck, i, iLen) = stringmatch Then
InStrRev = i
Exit Function
End If
Next i
InStrRev = 0
End Function
'-----------------------------------------------------------------
#End If

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"littlebear20" wrote in message
I want to print a LIST of documents in a folder without having to print

the
actual documents. I need to do this to compare documents in two seperate
folders for duplication.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Several methods to accomplish this.......I like Tushar's best if importing to
Excel.

To add a "Print Directory" feature to Explorer, go to
this KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q272623&

Or you can download Printfolder 1.2 from.....

http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

I use PF 1.2 and find it to be more than adequate with custom
features.

OR Go to DOS(Command) prompt and directory.
Type DIR MYFILES.TXT

All the above create a *.TXT file which can be opened in Notepad or
Excel.

One more method if you want to by-pass the *.TXT file and pull
directly to Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in. This allows filtering
and sorting once you have the data in Excel.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/ scroll down to Add-insDirectory
Listing.

Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP