Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default List of names sort

Pretty simple but having problems...

I have a list of about 100 names that have the entire name (First and
Last) in each cell. How can I sort the list based on the Lastname
rather that the Firstname?

Thanks for the help,

mmednick
mmednick's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29404
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=571883

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the First Name and the Surname are seperated by a space then if you
insert a blank column next to your name you can go to Data - Text to
Columns - Leave as Delimited and go to next - On the next screen ensure
Space is selected (with a tick) - Then click on Next - Then click on
Finish

This will split your data into two seperate columns with first name and
surname and will allow you to sort using the second column first and
then the first name.

Hope this does what you wanted?

Regards

Carl

--
mr_teacher
mr_teacher's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34352

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's easiest to slipt the column in two and leave it that way, for
future sorting ease.

Insert a column to the right of the current column.
To split the column, select it, then under Data select Text to Column.
Select delimited, next, select space (make sure no others are
selected), next, select each column and select text, finish.

--
mehare
mehare's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37483

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this in the next column and pull down. Sort both columns using the
values in the second column. Delete second column.

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))

HTH
Regards,
Howard