Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I sort mostly 3 decimal with some 4 decimal numbers

Maybe I didn't explain it properly. I have about 300 computers that have
mostly 3 number designations, something like tnc314 and then I have 100 of
them that have numbers like tnc3148. Now when I sort, the 3 and 4 number
computer names are all bunched together. How can I have the 3 number names
sorted by itself, and then the 4 number ones on the end. All in sequence of
course. Your help is very much appreciated......Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Insert a new column.
put a formula like:
=len(a1)
that'll return 6 or 7.

and drag down the column

Sort your data using this as the primary key and the id's as the secondary key.

--

Dave Peterson