Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default text-to-column problem

I have complete addresses including hard carriage returnss in my original
data. (That is, I have three lines in each cell.) How do I make the CR's a
delimiter for text-to-column conversion?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One option is to substitute the carriage return for other symbol. You can
create an additional column with a formula like:
=SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),"|")
And perform the text to columns on the results, using the | as separator.

Hope this helps,
Miguel.

"CraigR53" wrote:

I have complete addresses including hard carriage returnss in my original
data. (That is, I have three lines in each cell.) How do I make the CR's a
delimiter for text-to-column conversion?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In the "delimited" section, "check" other and enter "0010", using the
number pad while holding down the Alt key
"CraigR53" wrote in message
I have complete addresses including hard carriage returnss in my original
data. (That is, I have three lines in each cell.) How do I make the CR's
delimiter for text-to-column conversion?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Miguel. That got rid of the CR, but there is still a square
immediately prior to the place where the CR was. I throught it was just a
placeholder for the CR, but it must be something else. How do I get rid of
that?

"CraigR53" wrote:

I have complete addresses including hard carriage returnss in my original
data. (That is, I have three lines in each cell.) How do I make the CR's a
delimiter for text-to-column conversion?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use the function CODE to check what that square is, and then
substitute it again, this time with the empty character. To use code, I
would combine it with the MID function, to aim where the character is.
For example, if you have 2 characters before the square, use the formula:
=CODE(MID(A1,3,1))
This will return a number, then you can use that number in the CHAR part of
the formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(XX),"")

Hope this helps,
Miguel.

"CraigR53" wrote:

I have complete addresses including hard carriage returnss in my original
data. (That is, I have three lines in each cell.) How do I make the CR's a
delimiter for text-to-column conversion?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One more method is to use ALT + 0010 from the numpad and Text to Columns

Delimited byOther ALT + 0010 Or CTRL + j

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"CraigR53" wrote:

I have complete addresses including hard carriage returnss in my original
data. (That is, I have three lines in each cell.) How do I make the CR's a
delimiter for text-to-column conversion?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried the alt 0010 suggested and everything to the right of the carriage
return disappears. Not really what I was hoping for.
--
I know enuff to be dangerous.

"CraigR53" wrote in message
I have complete addresses including hard carriage returnss in my original
data. (That is, I have three lines in each cell.) How do I make the CR's
delimiter for text-to-column conversion?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe you had "do not import column" checked for the column right of the CR?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:14:01 -0800, RealGomer
wrote:

I tried the alt 0010 suggested and everything to the right of the carriage
return disappears. Not really what I was hoping for.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nope. When I open the text to columns window and choose delimited, everything
to the right of the symbol disappears.
--
I know enuff to be dangerous.

wrote:

I tried the alt 0010 suggested and everything to the right of the carriage
return disappears. Not really what I was hoping for.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It will come back when you hit "Next".

Gord

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:15:02 -0800, RealGomer
wrote:

Nope. When I open the text to columns window and choose delimited, everything
to the right of the symbol disappears.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry, Gordo. No dice. Everything to the right gets whacked. Must be a new
feature, like what we have at work. "It's there, you just can't see it."
(Direct quote from tech support)
--
I know enuff to be dangerous.

wrote:

Nope. When I open the text to columns window and choose delimited, everything
to the right of the symbol disappears.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What you describe happening is what *should* happen.

After you check "Other", and then hold down <Alt,
And then type
0010
using the numbers from the *num* keypad,
*not* the numbers under the function keys,
You should see your data separated into columns in the "Preview" window,
JUST AS YOU ENTER THE LAST ZERO,
without any other keystrokes.

RD

wrote:

Nope. When I open the text to columns window and choose delimited,
everything
to the right of the symbol disappears.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No go, Joe. Everything to the right of the line feed / carriage return
disappears.
An example:
"BOCA RESTAURANT GROUP LLCDBA BOCA3200 MADISON RDCINCINNATI, OH45209"

Becomes:
BOCA RESTAURANT GROUP LLC

In the original Crystal Reports 7 report, before being export by Crystal,
the entry was:
"BOCA RESTAURANT GROUP LLC
DBA BOCA
3200 MADISON RD
CINCINNATI, OH 45209"

I hope someone can figure out this "feature". I have another few thousand
records in another report that need to be parsed, cleaned, and printed.

--
I know enuff to be dangerous.

wrote:

Nope. When I open the text to columns window and choose delimited,
everything
to the right of the symbol disappears.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In your string of text where is the CR(s) located?

If you care to, you could email me a copy of the workbook.

Change the DOT and AT

Gord

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:12:01 -0800, RealGomer
wrote:

No go, Joe. Everything to the right of the line feed / carriage return
disappears.
An example:
"BOCA RESTAURANT GROUP LLCDBA BOCA3200 MADISON RDCINCINNATI, OH45209"

Becomes:
BOCA RESTAURANT GROUP LLC

In the original Crystal Reports 7 report, before being export by Crystal,
the entry was:
"BOCA RESTAURANT GROUP LLC
DBA BOCA
3200 MADISON RD
CINCINNATI, OH 45209"

I hope someone can figure out this "feature". I have another few thousand
records in another report that need to be parsed, cleaned, and printed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No response from OP as yet.

Gord