Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Simple message box question

I am trying to create a simple message box which will display after I open
the Excel file and if I try to make any change to a document is being made.
If the selection is "Yes" in the messsage box, the change I am making in the
document will be allowed. If the selection is "No" in the message box, the
change will not be allowed. The message box needs to be repeated if I select
"No" and again try to make a change. The message box requirement is really
simple, it just has to say: "Have you updated the dates?" If "Yes", the
change is allowed. If "No", change is not allowed. If after "No", change is
again tried, message box pops up again.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for your message. Macros are all enabled since I have many macros
running on my spreadsheet. Please assist with the macro design requested.

Thanks.

"Trevor Shuttleworth" wrote:

This is not as simple as it sounds. In order to have a message box
displayed, the user must first enable macros. So, if they choose not to,
you have no protection ... just an annoyance to the user who has to
acknowledge the security warning and enable the macros. So, you have to
annoy them big style ... by arranging the spreadsheet in such a way that it
is useless to them unless they enable the macros.

Typically, you would have to have a banner screen that says "you must enable
macros to use this workbook". Then you have to hide all the real worksheets
.... in fact, you need to make them "very hidden". You need to protect your
VBA Project.

If they enable macros, you then need to unhide all the data sheets and hide
the banner sheet. At this point your message box and associated actions
will become effective. And, when they have finished, you need to ensure
that you re-secure the data.

So, possible, but not easy. Excel isn't really designed for the type of
control/security that you want.

Regards

Trevor