NYDIA

Default count if statement

i have a spreadsheet that is used for a monthly
attendance. There are codes (p=present, h=hospital stay
etc). I want to create a formula that will count all the
p's

example
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 TOTAL
john smith p p p p p p h h p p p h h h p p p p 10

so john was in the program on 10 days of the 5

can you help me with the formula? Any help is greatly
appreciated
Juan Pablo González

Try with

=COUNTIF(TheRange, "p")

where TheRange is a reference to the range that contains the p's and h's.

--
Regards

Juan Pablo González

"NYDIA" wrote in message
i have a spreadsheet that is used for a monthly
attendance. There are codes (p=present, h=hospital stay
etc). I want to create a formula that will count all the
p's

example
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 TOTAL
john smith p p p p p p h h p p p h h h p p p p 10

so john was in the program on 10 days of the 5

can you help me with the formula? Any help is greatly
appreciated

I put
=3DCOUNTIF(D9:H9, "p")
and it works, but the row may have several different=20
codes, so i need it to be able to count whether its p or a=20
or h

=3Dcountif(d9:h9,"p", "a") doesnt work
Nydia

Sorry, my initial said only count the "P", but i know need=20
it to count all the codes.
and it works, but the row may have several different=20
codes, so i need it to be able to count whether its p or=20

a=20
or h

=3Dcountif(d9:h9,"p", "a") doesnt work
where TheRange is a reference to the range that contains=20

the p's and h's.

--=20
Regards

Juan Pablo Gonz=E1lez

"NYDIA" wrote in=20

message
i have a spreadsheet that is used for a monthly
attendance. There are codes (p=3Dpresent, h=3Dhospital=20

stay
etc). I want to create a formula that will count all=20

the
p's

example
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 =20

TOTAL
john smith p p p p p p h h p p p h h h p p p p =20

10

so john was in the program on 10 days of the 5

can you help me with the formula? Any help is greatly
appreciated

.

.

RagDyer

Do you need to count all the codes ... ONE AT A TIME ?

You could try this:
Enter in A1, A2, and A3:

And in B1 enter:
=COUNTIF($D$9:$H$9,A1)
And drag down to copy to B3.
This will give you *individual* counts of your codes.

If, on the other hand, you want a cumulative count of *all* your codes, you
could try this:

=SUM(COUNTIF(D9:H9,{"P","H","A"}))
--

HTH,

RD

"Nydia" wrote in message
Sorry, my initial said only count the "P", but i know need
it to count all the codes.
and it works, but the row may have several different
codes, so i need it to be able to count whether its p or

or h

=countif(d9:h9,"p", "a") doesnt work