Steve J

Default File sizes unexplained bloating

I have a model in Excel 2003. Originally 150 data lines (size 4MB).
Expanded it to 1150 data lines (size 23 MB about what I expected). I then
tried to expand to 2150 data lines and the file ballooned to 112MB.

I have checked and there are no super large named ranges or unused cells
after my last real used cell in each sheet.

Any ideas what could be causing the sudden jump in size?

--
Thanks

Steve
Dave Peterson

That's huge!

Debra Dalgleish has some tips for reseting the last used cell (if ctrl-end takes
you way past what you think should be the bottom right cell).

But I can't believe that's the problem.

4mb seems out of line for most of my 150 data lines, too.

Do you have any objects (pictures/shapes) that are bulking up your file?

If you copy the data to a brand new worksheet in a brand new workbook, does it
show the same bloat?

(If it doesn't, copy over everything to the new workbook and toss the old to see
if the bloat stays down.)

Steve J wrote:

I have a model in Excel 2003. Originally 150 data lines (size 4MB).
Expanded it to 1150 data lines (size 23 MB about what I expected). I then
tried to expand to 2150 data lines and the file ballooned to 112MB.

I have checked and there are no super large named ranges or unused cells
after my last real used cell in each sheet.

Any ideas what could be causing the sudden jump in size?

--
Thanks

Steve

--

Dave Peterson
Steve J

Thanks Dave,

Teh reason the file is so large is that there are a number of complex
formulae which must beb expanded in line with the data. I wrote a routine in
VB to do this but its pretty simple and just ads in rows then copies the
formulae down.

The thing I can't understand is why the change in file size is non-linear.
I expected the new lines to increase the file size by the same amount per
line.

I'm thinking of transferring the calcualtional guts of the model into access
which seems better suited to handling larger quantities of data anyway.

Thanks

Steve