Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DEI DEI is offline

Default Mid Function Problem

This driving me crazy. I use functions all the time, but can not get this to
work.

I am trying to use the Mid function to grab the middle of a cell. Ex:

C3 = 100.44444.444444.444

I am using Mid(C3,5,5) to get the 5 digits after the first period. Anyway,
this works for the first cell, when I write the function in. But when I copy
and past the function down the worksheet, it returns the value of the first
formula I typed in, even the the function is referencing different cells down
the spreadsheet. When I push F2 on any of the wrong value-cells, and then
return, the function returns the right string.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Thanks in advance.

DEI
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You've probably got calculation set to Manual

From the Excel main menu:
<tools<options<calculation tab
Check: Automatic

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"DEI" wrote:

This driving me crazy. I use functions all the time, but can not get this to
work.

I am trying to use the Mid function to grab the middle of a cell. Ex:

C3 = 100.44444.444444.444

I am using Mid(C3,5,5) to get the 5 digits after the first period. Anyway,
this works for the first cell, when I write the function in. But when I copy
and past the function down the worksheet, it returns the value of the first
formula I typed in, even the the function is referencing different cells down
the spreadsheet. When I push F2 on any of the wrong value-cells, and then
return, the function returns the right string.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Thanks in advance.

DEI

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds like you may have inadvertently set calculation to Manual.
If you'll click on the menu Tools Options then choose the Calculation
tab; select the radio button for Automatic.

By the way, you might consider this MID function: it uses a FIND to
locate the first period. This may be useful to you if that period
doesn't always show up in column 5.
=MID(C3,FIND(".",C3,1)+1,5)