Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can a Text Box be Formatted in Columns?

I have a large text box which holds quite a bit of text. Ideally the text it
contains would be formatted into columns. Is this possible? I've tried just
manually making columns in the box by inserting spaces after the end of a
line and then typing more text, doing this for each line, but A) this is
horribly awkward to edit, and B) it looks crappy.

I've also tried grouping narrower text boxes together, creating the effect
of columns. This actually isn't so bad, but you have to ungroup them to
edit, and since text doesn't flow from one to the other, it's kind of limited
and again awkward to work with.

Is there a better way to do what I need to do?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

You might consider typing your text in columns on another helper sheet, in
the columns as you wish.........then highlight the cells, do Ctrl-Shift-Edit
Copy Picture, and then paste it into a Text box......again, not very handy,

but looks a lot better.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Wuddus" wrote:

I have a large text box which holds quite a bit of text. Ideally the text it
contains would be formatted into columns. Is this possible? I've tried just
manually making columns in the box by inserting spaces after the end of a
line and then typing more text, doing this for each line, but A) this is
horribly awkward to edit, and B) it looks crappy.

I've also tried grouping narrower text boxes together, creating the effect
of columns. This actually isn't so bad, but you have to ungroup them to
edit, and since text doesn't flow from one to the other, it's kind of limited
and again awkward to work with.

Is there a better way to do what I need to do?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually, that's pretty cool, but I'm afraid I'm not the only user who will
need to edit the text, and editing will happen pretty often, so I don't
think this will be dynamic or intuitive enough. (The workbook will be on a
network accessed by many people, all of whom need to be able to edit the
text. I could append directions, but many of them either just won't get it or
they won't want to read the directions, or they'll complain about having to
go to another tab, etc. etc.)

Thanks for the idea, though!

"Wuddus" wrote:

I have a large text box which holds quite a bit of text. Ideally the text it
contains would be formatted into columns. Is this possible? I've tried just
manually making columns in the box by inserting spaces after the end of a
line and then typing more text, doing this for each line, but A) this is
horribly awkward to edit, and B) it looks crappy.

I've also tried grouping narrower text boxes together, creating the effect
of columns. This actually isn't so bad, but you have to ungroup them to
edit, and since text doesn't flow from one to the other, it's kind of limited
and again awkward to work with.

Is there a better way to do what I need to do?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

You're welcome..........maybe if you explain a little more about why/how
you're using the Text Boxes, there may be some other alternatives...........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Wuddus" wrote:

I have a large text box which holds quite a bit of text. Ideally the text it
contains would be formatted into columns. Is this possible? I've tried just
manually making columns in the box by inserting spaces after the end of a
line and then typing more text, doing this for each line, but A) this is
horribly awkward to edit, and B) it looks crappy.

I've also tried grouping narrower text boxes together, creating the effect
of columns. This actually isn't so bad, but you have to ungroup them to
edit, and since text doesn't flow from one to the other, it's kind of limited
and again awkward to work with.

Is there a better way to do what I need to do?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Ok, try this..........forget the TextBox idea........just type your data into
an helper sheet in the columns desired, then color the background of those
cells and put a border around them.........then highlight them and do
COPY......then go to the sheet where you want the "TextBox" and do
Ctrl-Shift-Edit PastePictureLink.....and there ya are!, a nifty little
"TextBox" that will change the values therein as the values on the helper
sheet are changed, all automatically.........most cool.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3