Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do i make prices appear automactically

i have a spreadsheet designed for invoicing, my staff enter products via
validation lists, if the item selected is "wood" for example, can the cell
next to it automatically enter the price into it. If it possible how can
someone give me a simple example.

thanks pat
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Look at this tutorial:

Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Patricb" wrote in message ...
|i have a spreadsheet designed for invoicing, my staff enter products via
| validation lists, if the item selected is "wood" for example, can the cell
| next to it automatically enter the price into it. If it possible how can
| someone give me a simple example.
|
| thanks pat

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pat,
If you have a table of Products and Prices .. let's call it
PriceTable ... then if product is entered in cell a1 then in B1 put:

=VLOOKUP(A1,PriceTable,2,0) to return the price.

PriceTable in this example is named range on (say) Sheet2 in Columns A & B
(A=Product, B= Price). The formula above could be written as:

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,0)

To allow for products which are not on the price table (?!) use:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,0)),"No price",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,0))

HTH

"Patricb" wrote:

i have a spreadsheet designed for invoicing, my staff enter products via
validation lists, if the item selected is "wood" for example, can the cell
next to it automatically enter the price into it. If it possible how can
someone give me a simple example.

thanks pat

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Niek

VLOOKUP will solve this and many future problems for Thanks Again

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Look at this tutorial:

Kind regards,

Niek Otten