Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KB KB is offline

Default 15+ Number Format

I understand anything over 15 #'s is too large and I know how to change it,
but I can only do it for the present numbers in a column. Any future numbers
I paste into the column keeps reverting to something like 2.500013E+11. I am
looking to format the column for future pastes. I know if you type the '
will work but how can I format that in the column for future pastes?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KB KB is offline

That didn't work. Formatting the column cells to text reverting all the
numbers I already changed back to the 2.500013E+11 number.

"KB" wrote in message
I understand anything over 15 #'s is too large and I know how to change

it,
but I can only do it for the present numbers in a column. Any future

numbers
I paste into the column keeps reverting to something like 2.500013E+11. I

am
looking to format the column for future pastes. I know if you type the '
will work but how can I format that in the column for future pastes?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I said *PRE*-format, *PRE* meaning BEFORE entry, *not* after.

You said:
<<<"I am looking to format the column for *future* pastes."

FUTURE means *not already* existing data!

Try it that way - PRE-formatting.
--
HTH,

RD

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Pre-format the column to 'Text'.
--
HTH,

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-
"KB" wrote in message
I understand anything over 15 #'s is too large and I know how to

change
it,
but I can only do it for the present numbers in a column. Any future

numbers
I paste into the column keeps reverting to something like

2.500013E+11. I
am
looking to format the column for future pastes. I know if you type

the '
will work but how can I format that in the column for future pastes?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KB KB is offline

I understand you said *PRE*. I pre formatted the entire column and I even
opened a new worksheet and pre formatted a column, copied my number (it is an
ebay item #), pasted it to the *PRE* formatted column and still got the weird
#!!

"KB" wrote in message
I understand anything over 15 #'s is too large and I know how to

change
it,
but I can only do it for the present numbers in a column. Any future
numbers
I paste into the column keeps reverting to something like

2.500013E+11. I
am
looking to format the column for future pastes. I know if you type

the '
will work but how can I format that in the column for future pastes?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try copying to 'Notepad' first, to remove any imbedded characters or
formats, and then try copying to XL.

OR,
Could you try 'importing' instead of copying.
The Import wizard allows you to set certain formatting to the data to be
imported.

RD