Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default enter formula into Excel worksheet without losing numbers

I have office for student and teacher Edition 2003. When I try to enter a
formula into my spreadsheet/ with existing numbers inthe cells the formula
either covers up my existing entry or changes the numbers. Why? What am I
doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You cannot have data in a cell then write a formula in same cell.

You are overwriting the data by entering a formula.

Tell us what you're trying achieve.

There will be a way to get it.

Formulas are entered in cells and collect data from other cells.

Let's say you had numbers in A1:A4 and you wanted to Sum them.

In A5 enter formula =SUM(A1:A4)

Some tutorial sites for basics of Excel........

http://www.usd.edu/trio/tut/excel/index.html

http://www.baycongroup.com/el0.htm

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...831141033.aspx

Not trying to discourage you from coming here for help. You're always welcome

Gord

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:36:02 -0700, ricki racer <ricki
wrote:

I have office for student and teacher Edition 2003. When I try to enter a
formula into my spreadsheet/ with existing numbers inthe cells the formula
either covers up my existing entry or changes the numbers. Why? What am I
doing wrong?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP