Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Saving Formatting

I have a question regarding saving fomatting while deleting cells.
Essentially I have a large amount of data where rows are constantly
being added and deleted. My rows are grey-white-grey-white,etc and
want to keep them that way, but everytime I delete or add a row, it
messes up my color-scheme. Is there a way to lock the color of rows?
Is there a way around this that will accomplish my goal?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes to locking the banding scheme.

Use Conditional Formatting.

Select the rows to band.

FormatConditional FormattingFormula is:

=MOD(ROW(),2)=1

Pick a color from Format and OK your way out.

NOTE: you do have to band entire rows.

Select A1:H100 and follow steps above.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 27 Jul 2006 11:45:43 -0700, wrote:

I have a question regarding saving fomatting while deleting cells.
Essentially I have a large amount of data where rows are constantly
being added and deleted. My rows are grey-white-grey-white,etc and
want to keep them that way, but everytime I delete or add a row, it
messes up my color-scheme. Is there a way to lock the color of rows?
Is there a way around this that will accomplish my goal?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could use Conditional Formatting to shade every other row. That way, the
shading will be tied to the row number and not specific cells.

Select your entire sheet (or just the area that you want formatted)
From the Format Menu, choose "Conditional Formatting"
Change "Cell Value Is" to "Value Is"
Enter the formula: =MOD(ROW(),2)=0
Choose your formatting (grey background)
Click OK

Note: this will highlight all even numbered rows. If you'd rather highlight
odd numbered rows, change the formula to: =MOD(ROW(),2)=1

HTH,
Elkar