Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Comparing two workbooks and highlighting the differences

Hello,

I have GS072506.xls and GS072606.xls. Basically I run a daily report that
generates a spreadsheet. The spreadsheets always have the exact same row and
column format. However, the contents within the individual cells may or may
not change from day to day. I would like to find a way to compare 'todays'
spreadsheet with 'yesterdays' spreadsheet and have the changes highlighted in
BOLDED RED font on 'todays' spreadsheet.

For example, I would like to compare GS072606.xls (which was generated
today) with GS072506.xls (which was generated yesterday) and highlight (BOLD
RED font) the text that is in GS072606.xls but not in GS072506.xls .

Thank you!
Charles C.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use a formula that you insert into todays sheet in a blank
column to lookup the id number or any other identifying data for a
record and then use conditional formatting based on the result of that
formula.

Formula
=ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,'7-25-06'!$A$2:$C$5,2,FALSE))

I've attached a file that contains two sheets (you can change this to
to separate files) and compares the first sheet to the next using the
formula above and then applies conditional formatting to the data that
is not contained on the old sheet.

|Filename: compare2sheets.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=5107 |

Excelenator