Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Validation - but not restricting values

I've applied data validation (list setting) to some cells in my workbook. The
source is a named range in another sheet. When I click on the cells with
validation, the dropdown list with the values I expect appears and I can
choose them as normal. However, I can also type in any other value I choose
and excel will not complain. Anyone know what's causing this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

"Jon5001" wrote:
I've applied data validation (list setting) to some cells in my workbook. The
source is a named range in another sheet. When I click on the cells with
validation, the dropdown list with the values I expect appears and I can
choose them as normal. However, I can also type in any other value I choose
and excel will not complain. Anyone know what's causing this?

Nothing wrong there. That's the behaviour when you use Allow: List
--
Max
Singapore

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Clarification:
Nothing wrong there. That's the behaviour when you use Allow: List

should read as:
Nothing wrong there. That's the behaviour when you use Allow: List
and the named range covers an empty cell within it

Just my observations ..
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Think your defined range covers/carries an empty cell within it.
Remove that empty cell and I believe it'll work