Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default hyphen to forward slashes?

how do i stop it from changing my hyphen to forward slashes?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you entering stuff that looks like a date?

And you want to keep excel from helping you out by changing it to a date?

If yes,

you can preformat the cell as text (format|cells|number tab)
or
start your entry with an apostrophe: '1-3

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"It" I assume is Excel.

Are you entering Dates like 2-12-2006 which Excel changes to 2/12/2006?

Windows Regional Settings and Languages governs how dates are entered.

Change your "short date" to use hyphens.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:16:01 -0700, bailbust63
wrote:

how do i stop it from changing my hyphen to forward slashes?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Then again maybe you're not entering dates but trying to enter data like

12-06 which Excel interprets as a date.

Preface with an apostrophe so Excel knows it is to be text.

OR pre-format the cell(s) as Text.

Gord