Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional Formatting

Why does my cell turn red when the conditions are either not met.
Example, Cell t51 conditions are (turn the cell red when cell h36 is
greater than G36. If my answer in cell h36 is equal to g36 the cell is
still turning red although you can clearly see that they are just
equal.

Whats the problem?

ED

--
changetires
changetires's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35414

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

the answers are in HH:MM format when the times are equal then they will
display the color red. Some cells work fine the the conditions but some
cells will show red

Ed

--
changetires
changetires's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35414
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=564803

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this: In a couple of other cells in the workbook, assign them to be the
values in G3 and H3 (if I remember them correctly). Then format these cells
as NUMBER and change the number of decimal places until you see if there is
really a difference.

"changetires" wrote:

the answers are in HH:MM format when the times are equal then they will
display the color red. Some cells work fine the the conditions but some
cells will show red

Ed

--
changetires
changetires's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35414
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=564803

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thats it, about 25 decimals out the number is larger but if they are
formatted the same and everything why would it have a larger number
even if it is only just a small amount? How can I correct this
problem?

Ed

--
changetires
changetires's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35414
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=564803

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote in message
"changetires" wrote:

the answers are in HH:MM format when the times are equal then they will
display the color red. Some cells work fine the the conditions but some
cells will show red

Try this: In a couple of other cells in the workbook, assign them to be
the
values in G3 and H3 (if I remember them correctly). Then format these
cells
as NUMBER and change the number of decimal places until you see if there
is
really a difference.

Or put =G36-H36 in a cell and see whether it is really zero.

If this is your problem, then set your conditional format to test for
(ABS(G3-H3)<0.00001) or some appropriate figure depending how close you want
to be.
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've seen it before, but I'm not sure why it happens. You may want to post
another question on the board specific to that problem. I'm sure someone out
there knows the answer.

"changetires" wrote:

Thats it, about 25 decimals out the number is larger but if they are
formatted the same and everything why would it have a larger number
even if it is only just a small amount? How can I correct this
problem?

Ed

--
changetires
changetires's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35414
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=564803

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks that works. But why is it when both cells are in HH:MM format
and you subtract the two they create this number like
0.00283533333333333? That is just a PITA and now you have to go back
and reinvent the wheel with your conditional formatting. Is there
anyway around this?

Ed

--
changetires
changetires's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35414
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=564803

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Select H36 and go to conditional formatting. Enter this formula

=IF($H36G36,TRUE,FALSE)

To deduct time change the format of cell T51 to [H]:MM. That should
work

VBA Noob

--
VBA Noob
VBA Noob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33833

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That formula works VBA but the really small values assigned to the cell
that are hidden still have an effect on the conditional formatting.
Whats even worse is there are some other cells that are working fine
and do not have those pesky small values messing with the conditional
formatting and I cannot figure out why some cells have the really small
decimal values and other cells do not. Why?

Ed

--
changetires
changetires's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35414
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=564803

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel stores dates and times as numbers.

With a day being 1, an hour is 1/24th, a minute is 1/1440th and a second is

1/86440th

When you start adding, subtracting these times you get decimal numbers as you
describe.

See Chip Pearson's site for rounding times.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datearith.htm

Scroll down to near bottom of page.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:08:56 -0400, changetires
wrote:

Thanks that works. But why is it when both cells are in HH:MM format
and you subtract the two they create this number like
0.00283533333333333? That is just a PITA and now you have to go back
and reinvent the wheel with your conditional formatting. Is there
anyway around this?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can you post an example of data

--
VBA Noob
VBA Noob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33833
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=564803

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here is an example, I know why its turning my cell red but how can I fix
that decimal problem with conditional formatting?

Data Cell M69 is formatted to read 00:30 Minutes
N69 is formatted to read 0:30 Minutes

Conditional Format in cell M69 is
Cell value is greater than N69 then red

ok

the acutal excel machine language format for cell M69 is
0.0208333333357587
the actual excel machine language format for cell N69 is
0.0208333333333333

I have changed the formats for them to look the same and that didnt
cure anything. I mean its meeting the conditions to change it red but
how can I write in an override or something?

Ed