Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default EXCEL IMPORT 2.1 vs 4.0

Hello all,

We use BRIO EXPLORER here at the office to do SQL-stuff. This application
has an export-option to export to .xls -file. This works fine for me and all
my colleagues...with an exception of one.

process is this:

1) we run a query in BRIO, export the results in excel
2) open the created xls-file with EXCEL, apply formatting changes etc. click
save
3) the system states for him that he's editing excel 4.0 (for everyone else
it is excel2.1) and would he like to change it to the latest format (we're
runnion Excel2003 as company default). answer YES, overwrite the original
4) close excel
5) re-open the updated file with Excel and he get's an error message about
"File error: Data may have been lost"...logfile is just a repetition of the
errormessage with no usable info....the data shows up (as far as we know no
data has really been lost) but all the formatting done previously has
disappeared and the datecolumn that was previously fine has now turned into
it's numeric-values instead of dates...

Like I said, it all works fine for me for years already and same with my
colleagues...just this one since his upgrade from Win2k to WinXP. I've done
the same upgrade on my machine and everything works fine.

Part of me wants to find the excel import/export -filters and reinstall
them...but don't know how and where.... Any other ideas that would not
require re-install of excel? Re-install of excel would require re-install of
the entire office in our company unfortunately with the installers being
behind scripts.. :(

Cheers,
Kimmo