Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Turning off questions

When my workbook is linked to another, Excel always asks if I want to update
the link upon opening the workbook. Can I turn off this question, so Excel
always updates without asking? In the same way can I stop it asking about
enabling macros when I open a work book conatining a macro, so that the macro
is alway enabled without asking. Many thanks.
--
Peter
London, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here's the code, maybe you could place it in the workbook open module

Application.AskToUpdateLinks = False

--
davesexcel

davesexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31708
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=563975

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

1: Turning off the prompt to refresh automatic links

From the Excel main menu:
<tools<options<edit tab
UNcheck: Ask to update automatic links

2: Engage macros without asking
Now wouldn't that competely undermine the whole purpose of prompting the
user that's intended to prevent malicious code from running automatically?

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Peter" wrote:

When my workbook is linked to another, Excel always asks if I want to update
the link upon opening the workbook. Can I turn off this question, so Excel
always updates without asking? In the same way can I stop it asking about
enabling macros when I open a work book conatining a macro, so that the macro
is alway enabled without asking. Many thanks.
--
Peter
London, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I see your point Ron, but I'm trying to develope easy to use applications,
where untrained users do have to worry about answering any questions. Are you
saying it can't be done, or it's just not for publication!
--
Peter
London, UK

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

1: Turning off the prompt to refresh automatic links

From the Excel main menu:

"Peter" wrote:

When my workbook is linked to another, Excel always asks if I want to update
the link upon opening the workbook. Can I turn off this question, so Excel
always updates without asking? In the same way can I stop it asking about
enabling macros when I open a work book conatining a macro, so that the macro
is alway enabled without asking. Many thanks.
--
Peter
London, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Andy

Have a look at this KB Article for disabling that "some files may contain
viruses" message in Office 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829072/en-us

For the macros warning, if just for your own use on your computer, you can use
the SelfCert tool to create a certificate that sets the macros in a workbook to
"Trusted" and does not display the macros warning.

Check out Help on Digital Signing and the the Self-Cert utility which allows you
to sign your projects on your own computer only.

Self-cert digital signatures are not exportable as are paid-for ones from Thawte
and Versisign.

Go to StartProgramsMicrosoft OfficeOffice Tools and build a selfcert from
there.

When complete and your workbook is open go to VBEditor and ToolsDigital
SignatureChoose.

Select the one you just created and Ok your way out.

Save the workbook and re-open. Click "Yes" when asked about "trusted whatever".

You won't see the macro message again for that workbook.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:18:01 -0700, Andy Sarno <Andy
wrote:

Thank you for solving my "Turning off the prompt to refresh automatic links".
This was driving me CRAZY.

Could you help me with another problem? Once I click on a hyperlink I keep
getting asked "Some files may contain a virus do I still want to open this
File"? My answer is always going to be yes.

Andy

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

1: Turning off the prompt to refresh automatic links

From the Excel main menu:

"Peter" wrote:

When my workbook is linked to another, Excel always asks if I want to update
the link upon opening the workbook. Can I turn off this question, so Excel
always updates without asking? In the same way can I stop it asking about
enabling macros when I open a work book conatining a macro, so that the macro
is alway enabled without asking. Many thanks.
--
Peter
London, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you so much.
I have one last problen left with Excel 2003.
When I click on a hyperlink to a file, I get this "Microsoft Office" message
window that says "some files contain viruses, etc. Would you like to open
this file?" so, I click Yes and the file opens.
Can you make a 70 year old guy happy so he can get some sleep and will stop
pulling out the little hair left on his head?

Thank you,
Andy Sarno

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

1: Turning off the prompt to refresh automatic links

From the Excel main menu:

"Peter" wrote:

When my workbook is linked to another, Excel always asks if I want to update
the link upon opening the workbook. Can I turn off this question, so Excel
always updates without asking? In the same way can I stop it asking about
enabling macros when I open a work book conatining a macro, so that the macro
is alway enabled without asking. Many thanks.
--
Peter
London, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Andy

Did you read the KB Article on how to disable that message?

If so, what step is giving you trouble?

Working with the Registry?

Gord

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

1: Turning off the prompt to refresh automatic links

From the Excel main menu: