Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Bob is offline

Default excel not responding

I have one file that when I try to load it Excel will hang up and say it is
not responding. all of my other files for Excel will load with no problem.
I've tried everything that is listed on kb918165 and all of the data for it
is in the registry. The file is a large spreadsheet of 3meg+. I have tried
resaving under another name, still no luck. sometimes I an go thru task
manager and get to load. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds as though you may have a problem with memory: Either the lack of
it or that it is faulty.

A problem with spreadsheet files is they can get larger and larger (usually
slowing down in the process) until they are just too big. It doesn't matter
by how much: Like the final straw that breaks the camel's back. The size of
the file isn't a reliable indicator. A file with a lot of formulae which is
updated automatically on opening can put much more of a strain on memory
than a simple file of the same size.

You could check both possibilities at one stroke by replacing your memory
chips (avoiding the possibility that one is faulty) by higher capacity
chips. You need to check your computer manual to make sure that you get the
right memory (by type, speed and capacity). If this doesn't resolve the
problem then at least you'll have checked this problem.

As a temporary measure, if the file can be opened at all, you could -
delete all unnecessary formulae
delete all unwanted unused columns and rows
delete all unwanted pivot tables
delete all unwanted graphics
This could just reduce the overhead to a workable amount - until it grows
again.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Bob" wrote in message
I have one file that when I try to load it Excel will hang up and say it is
not responding. all of my other files for Excel will load with no problem.
I've tried everything that is listed on kb918165 and all of the data for
it
is in the registry. The file is a large spreadsheet of 3meg+. I have tried
resaving under another name, still no luck. sometimes I an go thru task
manager and get to load. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Bob is offline

What I did was start my computer in safe mode and I was able to load the
file. I then made two files, 1st half and 2nd half and renamed them. Now I
can load either one and get all my data. You were very helpful, Thank you

Bob