Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default HOW TO LOCATE DUPLICATES ON TWO COLUMNS

I have this:
A B C
1 189 xxx $1.5
2 001 xxx $8.0
3 189 xxx $1.5
4 189 xxx $2.0

I just want to know when only column A and column C have the same numbers,
not just one column;... but both have to match. On this case would be Row # 3
the one that is duplicate and I wanted to find it.
Thank you so much!!!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi

Would this be acceptable (put this in a module and run macro "main")
Sub main()
'Concatenate col a and col c
rowcount = Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "a").End(xlUp).Row
For i = 1 To rowcount
Range("a" & i).Select
val1 = ActiveCell.Value
Range("c" & i).Select
val2 = ActiveCell.Value
Range("d" & i).Select
ActiveCell.Value = val1 & val2
Next
Call sort_cold
Call hightligh_duplicate
Call clean_up
End Sub
Sub sort_cold()
rowcount = Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "a").End(xlUp).Row
Range("a1:" & "d" & rowcount).Select
Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("D1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo, _
OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom
Range("a1").Select
End Sub
Sub hightligh_duplicate()
Range("d1").Select
FirstItem = ActiveCell.Value
seconditem = ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Value
offsetcount = 1
Do While ActiveCell < ""
If FirstItem = seconditem Then
ActiveCell.Offset(0, -3).Select
ActiveCell.Offset(offsetcount, 0).Interior.Color = RGB(255,
0, 0)
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3).Select
offsetcount = offsetcount + 1
seconditem = ActiveCell.Offset(offsetcount, 0).Value
Else
ActiveCell.Offset(offsetcount, 0).Select
FirstItem = ActiveCell.Value
seconditem = ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Value
offsetcount = 1
End If
Loop
ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Sub clean_up()
Columns("D:D").Select
Selection.ClearContents
Range("A1").Select

jetted
jetted's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17532
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=563805

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In cell D1 put in the formula:
="A"&A1&"C"&C1
Copy the formula down as far as you have data.

Then with column D selected, go to Format | Conditional Formatting.
Select Formula Is for the dropdown box.
Put =COUNTIF(D:D,D1)1 in the formula box.
Click Format button and pick a color in the Patterns tab.

All the duplicte ones should then be highlighted in column D.

-Simon

"HERNAN" wrote:

I have this:
A B C
1 189 xxx $1.5
2 001 xxx $8.0
3 189 xxx $1.5
4 189 xxx $2.0

I just want to know when only column A and column C have the same numbers,
not just one column;... but both have to match. On this case would be Row # 3
the one that is duplicate and I wanted to find it.
Thank you so much!!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hmm, not really sure what's wrong. Do you get any error messages? Or maybe
no messages at all but just no highlights in column D? Can you post a few
sample resulting values for column D? Also try opening the condition format
pop up again while you're in one of the cells in column D, what do you see?
That's all the questions I can think of for now.

-Simon

"HERNAN" wrote:

I have this:
A B C
1 189 xxx $1.5
2 001 xxx $8.0
3 189 xxx $1.5
4 189 xxx $2.0

I just want to know when only column A and column C have the same numbers,
not just one column;... but both have to match. On this case would be Row # 3
the one that is duplicate and I wanted to find it.
Thank you so much!!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dav Dav is offline

is the conditional format exactly as simon said, ii has not put " "
around the formula? you have picked a colour to highlight as well!

Technically what u asked for is in cell d1

Put =COUNTIF($D$1:D1,D1)1 in the formula box. as you said you only
wanted the second case highlighted. the first way will highlight both.

you then need to copy the format down to the other cells. paste special
format

Regards

Dav

--
Dav
Dav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27107

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dav Dav is offline

i told you to copy it down, simon told you to select the column to start
with, both have a similar effect. go to a cell where it is not working
and check the formats, conditional formating, are there any there?

Regards

Dav