Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
robotmannick

Default Coloured horizontal stripes

Hi all,

Using MS Excel 2003, I want to create a chart that has coloured
horizontal bands as a background with the data lines on top of these
bands.

E.g. If all of my y-axis values will be in the range 0-30, I'd like to
split the background into 3 horizontal stripes such that:

0 <=10 is coloured gold
10<=20 is coloured silver
20<=30 is coloured bronze

On top of these stripes are my actual data lines.

It seems like it -should- be possible, but I'm just too dense to figure
it out. Any ideas please?

Thanks.

--
robotmannick
robotmannick's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35588

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

You can create the bands by adding dummy data series and plotting them
as column charts.
If you use clustered columns you will need to set the overlap to 100 and
the gap width to 0. You will also need to get the values in the correct
order to avoid the largest bar obscuring the others.

If you use stacked columns you will need to adjust your data values to
get the banding correct. Again you will need to set the gap width to 0.

This example, by Jon Peltier, is for vertical banding but it should give
you an idea of what to do.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...ticalBand.html

Cheers
Andy

robotmannick wrote:
Hi all,

Using MS Excel 2003, I want to create a chart that has coloured
horizontal bands as a background with the data lines on top of these
bands.

E.g. If all of my y-axis values will be in the range 0-30, I'd like to
split the background into 3 horizontal stripes such that:

0 <=10 is coloured gold
10<=20 is coloured silver
20<=30 is coloured bronze

On top of these stripes are my actual data lines.

It seems like it -should- be possible, but I'm just too dense to figure
it out. Any ideas please?

Thanks.

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
robotmannick

Thanks Andy.

Works a treat. In fact, I changed the type to an "area" chart so that
I get horizontal lines (borders) to separate each region too, without
having vertical borders.

Thanks for your help,