Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,alt.comp.shareware,alt.www.webmaster
ship

Default Struggling to produce INCREDIBLY simple charts with Excel (v2003) - any recommendations?

Excel2003/WinXP

Hi

I am struggling to produce INCREDIBLY simple charts with Excel (v2003).

I am trying to *speed up* (i.e. reduce the number of clicks) to produce
a new chart.
To save time, I dont want to have to *do* anything to the source data
when it arrives.
This is partly because we are needing to paste in live data several
time a day (i.e. data that is added to/is changed as the day
progresses).

The data arrives as .CSV and it is one row per transaction e.g. like
this:

date,time,invoice_num
18/06/2006,01:19,INV10010341
18/06/2006,07:18,INV10010342
18/06/2006,07:31,INV10010343
18/06/2006,08:28,INV10010344
18/06/2006,08:32,INV10010345
18/06/2006,08:32,INV10010346
18/06/2006,08:54,INV10010347
18/06/2006,09:13,INV10010348
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,alt.comp.shareware,alt.www.webmaster
DoobieDo

What did those nice people at the Excel forum tell you?
http://216.92.17.166/board2/index.ph...01a4565152a99b

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,alt.comp.shareware,alt.www.webmaster
ship

DoobieDo wrote:
What did those nice people at the Excel forum tell you?
http://216.92.17.166/board2/index.ph...01a4565152a99b

I dont know I havent asked them yet.
Maybe I shall!

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

To save time, I dont want to have to *do* anything to the source data
when it arrives.

Unfortunately your data is not arranged to be easy to make any kind of
chart. Your X data is the second column of the imported file, and I think
your Y data is derived from the third column. Do you want simply number of
transactions at a given time, or a cumulative count? Either way you'll need
some analysis, whether by formulas, pivot table, or VBA procedure. You have
to provide some numerical values for Excel to plot.

I have then added the time column (i.e. the second column - col "B") of
each datasheet to be a Data Series for the chart.

I would like time to go along the X-axis but Excel puts it on the Y
axis! (Why?!)

A data series consists of a set of X values and a matching set of Y values.
If you add the second column by itself to an existing chart, the only
logical thing for Excel to assume is that these are Y values to be charted
against the already plotted X values.

Plus I cant get the X-axis to start at zero - it seems to insist on
starting at 1 (not 0)!!

If Excel cannot parse your X values as anything numeric, or if you are
making a Line chart (rather than an XY chart), Excel is likely to simply
assign the X values as categorical labels, then count them starting with 1
the way young children learn to count.

BTW, what are these groups: alt.comp.shareware, alt.www.webmaster?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"ship" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

.
.
etc

I have imported each .CSV file into Excel, with one day per worksheet.
And I have created a basic Line chart.
I have then added the time column (i.e. the second column - col "B") of
each datasheet to be a Data Series for the chart.

I am trying to chart time vs. number of transactions (within a 24 hour
period). And I also need to see more than one day's performance on the
same chart.

Problem:
I would like time to go along the X-axis but Excel puts it on the Y
axis! (Why?!)

I am also struggling to get the X-axis to be along the BOTTOM, rather
then the top
of the chart!
Plus I cant get the X-axis to start at zero - it seems to insist on
starting at 1 (not 0)!!

I am on the point of dispair - I dont need anything complex, 3D etc -
but I just cant
get Excel to do the basics.

- Any thoughts?
- Are there any Excel charting plug-ins to make life easier?
- Or is there something good and cheap (i.e. less than $25.00) that is
intuitive that comes highly recommended instead of Excel?!

Ship
Shiperton Henethe