Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Derek

Default How many data series can i format

I have a chart of values over time. I have 5 data series taken from a data
table. The values come up in the chart OK but as I wanted to format the
different data series for color and data point shape it only allows me to
format 4 series. In fact when I right click the 5th data series the format
window wont even come up as it did with the previous 4. Is the a built in
default limit?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

There is a limit but you're about 250 series shy of it. You can't double
click on the series? What kind of chart is it?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Derek" wrote in message
I have a chart of values over time. I have 5 data series taken from a data
table. The values come up in the chart OK but as I wanted to format the
different data series for color and data point shape it only allows me to
format 4 series. In fact when I right click the 5th data series the
format
window wont even come up as it did with the previous 4. Is the a built in
default limit?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Derek

Thanks for the interest Jon. Its a simple line chart of my electricity usage
with the virticle axis values 0-1000 and the bottom axis is time line Jan
-Dec. I could include sending a copy of the worksheet if it would help.

"Derek" wrote in message
I have a chart of values over time. I have 5 data series taken from a data
table. The values come up in the chart OK but as I wanted to format the
different data series for color and data point shape it only allows me to
format 4 series. In fact when I right click the 5th data series the
format
window wont even come up as it did with the previous 4. Is the a built in
default limit?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Michael

Derek/Jon,
I have a very similar problem which may help/hinder. I have a line chart
which consists of 6 series. The sixth series and title of the chart is
'controlled' by a macro. The macro is in turn operated via a button. Each
series consists of 4 values. When the macro is run, the sixth series loses
the series name (=Sheet2!#REF!), and the last value ie the values decrease
from Sheet2!$F$22:$F$25 to Sheet2!$F22:$F$24. Subsequently activiation of the
macro decreases the values by 1 each time ( ie $23, $22, and so on until the
values = Sheet2!#REF!

Macro code
parameter1 = "="
parameter2 = "BEBINGTON & WEST WIRRAL"
parameter3 = "Coverage (less than 5 years since last adequate test) for the
period 2001-2005. Target 80%"
Call PCO(parameter1, parameter2, parameter3)

the first two parameters amend autofilter parameters. the third amends the
title of the chart

Sub PCO(p1, p2, p3)
Sheets("Sheet1").Select
Selection.AutoFilter
Selection.AutoFilter
Sheets("Sheet1").Select
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=p1
Cells.Select
Selection.Copy
Sheets("Sheet2").Select
SkipBlanks _
:=False, Transpose:=False
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Sheets("Sheet1").Select
Selection.AutoFilter
Selection.AutoFilter
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:=p2
Cells.Select
Selection.Copy
Sheets("Sheet2").Select
Range("A22").Select
SkipBlanks _
:=False, Transpose:=False
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Rows("22:22").Select
Selection.Delete
Range("A1").Select
Sheets("Chart1").Select
Call charttitle(p3)
End Sub

Filters and copies values from 1 sheet to another from which the chart is
produced. Row 22 is deleted because that contains the column titles - all the
data is copied over correctly, but the chart is incorrect ???

Hope this helps. any suggestions

Mike

"Derek" wrote in message
I have a chart of values over time. I have 5 data series taken from a data
table. The values come up in the chart OK but as I wanted to format the
different data series for color and data point shape it only allows me to
format 4 series. In fact when I right click the 5th data series the
format
window wont even come up as it did with the previous 4. Is the a built in
default limit?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Derek

Thanks Michael, Im sure it would help but what your saying is so far over my
head. I just want to right click, format my series data, and be done with
it. I dont know why it wont and I dont think I should have to be that
knowlegable to do it. But thanks again for your interest. Derek