Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
maggie

Default what's wrong wiht my bar graph in excel?

I"m trying to do a bar graph and I have two columns to compare. One is
1,000,959 and the other is 920,387. I've adjusted the left asix to reflect
100,000 increments and discovered that the 1,000,959 bar stops just above the
900,000 indicator and teh 920,387 bar stops just above the 800,000 indicator.
With my previous experience of graphs, the value of the bar should coincide
with the marks on the graph. Am I right? HOw can I fix this so I don't look
like an idiot in my presentations??

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
David Biddulph

"maggie" wrote in message
I"m trying to do a bar graph and I have two columns to compare. One is
1,000,959 and the other is 920,387. I've adjusted the left asix to
reflect
100,000 increments and discovered that the 1,000,959 bar stops just above
the
900,000 indicator and teh 920,387 bar stops just above the 800,000
indicator.
With my previous experience of graphs, the value of the bar should
coincide
with the marks on the graph. Am I right? HOw can I fix this so I don't
look
like an idiot in my presentations??

If you really do mean a bar graph, not a column graph, the left axis is the
category labels, not the values of the data.

Otherwise, I would suggest that you look carefully at the Source Data for
your series to check exactly what you are plotting.
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Debra Dalgleish

Use a 2-D chart, instead of one with a 3-D effect, and you should get
better results.

maggie wrote:
I"m trying to do a bar graph and I have two columns to compare. One is
1,000,959 and the other is 920,387. I've adjusted the left asix to reflect
100,000 increments and discovered that the 1,000,959 bar stops just above the
900,000 indicator and teh 920,387 bar stops just above the 800,000 indicator.
With my previous experience of graphs, the value of the bar should coincide
with the marks on the graph. Am I right? HOw can I fix this so I don't look
like an idiot in my presentations??

Thank you!

--
Debra Dalgleish