Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
rchacon

Default Charting Utility Usage

I've collected utility usage (kilowatt, tons, etc) on a monthly basis for the
past couple of years. Normally, I've only had to chart usage for a 12-month
period. Now I need to compare data on a monthly basis covering the past 3-
years (i.e. Jan data for 2004, 2005, 2006) and put it in a chart.

I'd like for it to look like this...

U # #
S # #
A #
#

2004-2005-2006 2004-2005-2006 2004-2005-
2006 2004-2005-2006
JAN FEB
MAR ...and so on... DEC

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Rigo
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Either manually, with formulas, or with a pivot table, arrange your data so
the months are listed in the first column, and each year's data for each
month is listed in a separate column. Once the data is set up, it can be
plotted pretty readily.

If you want the year labels in the category axis as well as the months,
you'll need to arrange the data a little differently. A pivot table makes
this rearrangement a little easier. In the first column, put the months,
with spaces between, then in the second column put years, repeated for each
month. Then add one column per year, so you are creating a sparse array:

2003 2004 2005
Jan 2003 10
2004 12
2005 13
Feb 2003 11
2004 12
2005 15
Mar 2003 13
2004 12
2005 15

Select the data, including the blanks at the top of the year and month
columns, and make your chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"rchacon" <u21789@uwe wrote in message news:60215c30aea79@uwe...
I've collected utility usage (kilowatt, tons, etc) on a monthly basis for
the
past couple of years. Normally, I've only had to chart usage for a
12-month
period. Now I need to compare data on a monthly basis covering the past
3-
years (i.e. Jan data for 2004, 2005, 2006) and put it in a chart.

I'd like for it to look like this...

U # #
S # #
A #
#

2004-2005-2006 2004-2005-2006
2004-2005-
2006 2004-2005-2006
JAN FEB
MAR ...and so on... DEC

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Rigo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
rchacon

Thanks, Jon...I'm going to check it out right now. Thanks again, Rigo

Jon Peltier wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Rigo