Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
spaceygrace

Default fixed plot areas?

Using line graphs, how can I create plots that have the same plot areas and
do not change size when the legends change or differ in size. I need to make
12 identical plots that can be easily aligned and compared visually. They
need to differ only in the data plotted within those plot areas. My problem
is that the plots change in size with the different legend sizes.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

You really need VBA to do this. I wrote a little utility to do this, and
it's still immature, but you can give it a try:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...l#AlignChtDims

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"spaceygrace" wrote in message
Using line graphs, how can I create plots that have the same plot areas
and
do not change size when the legends change or differ in size. I need to
make
12 identical plots that can be easily aligned and compared visually. They
need to differ only in the data plotted within those plot areas. My
problem
is that the plots change in size with the different legend sizes.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
HEK

Maybe you can escape using VBA and depending on the number of series to plot
in one chart you could try to place the legend on top or on bottom of the
plot area. As long as you are using the same height (the labels are placed
besides each other, not below each other) for all charts (depending how much
legend labels you require) the plot area remains constant (untick AutoScale
in Format Legend/Font).

Alternatively you could possibly use a data label instead of a legend. In
line charts this is usually unwanted as every point will be labeled. But you
could add a dummy point where you want the label to appear (give it same x-y
values) and make this invisible (transparent or choosing the same colour as
the background). If you label this point with the series name you
effectively have a substitue for the legend, and in my opinion usually easier
to read. The name, however, may clog the plot area a bit so you have to see
where to position it.