Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
DavidJ726

Default How to overlay(?) additional data on a series

I'm using a line chart that has 5 columns and 100's of rows to display time
and temperature for a coffee roaster. Time & temp data is measured by
digital probes (etc.), which is imported into a spreadsheet. There's a
temperature reading for every second so I can end up with up to a 1000 rows
of data for a 16-17 minute roast.

The Y axis is Temperature. The minimum value is 150 degrees with a maximum
of 475 and has a 25 degree scale.

Column A is where I enter a value of 00:00, 00:30, 1:00, 1:30, etc... up to
17 and this is used for the X axis labels. Column B (Series A) is where
I'll enter a dozen or more temperatures along the time line and is used to
display a desired profile. Columns C & D is the imported data showing bean
(Series B) and ambient (Series C) temperatures in the drum.

During the roast, temperatures are monitored and gas pressure is regulated
to increase or decrease the heat. The reading on the pressure gauge is what
I need to show along the Series B line so I can observe the effects of the
gas adjustments to the roast. The values I'm recording range anywhere from
1 - 12 and are entered into column E at whatever point in time the
adjustment was made.

I can't plot it as a series because the values are to small for the Y axis,
and text boxes would be to labor intensive. Is this possible?

Thanks,
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

Can you not plot the Gas pressure on the secondary Y axis. Double click
the data series based on column E and on the Axis tab of the Format
dialog pick Secondary axis.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Kelly O'Day

David:

As I understand your problem, you want to plot temp (150 - 475) and pressure
(1 - 12) against time. The pressure readings are showing up very small
because the temperature range is much higher.

You can solve this by using a secondary axis for the pressure readings. To
create the secondary axis for pressure readings, select the pressure series
by right clicking it, Click the Selected Object Select Axis Secondary
Axis Option Button.

You can format the secondary axis by adding title and setting range to fit
your needs.

...Kelly

"DavidJ726" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
DavidJ726

Thanks Andy,

That doesn't appear to work. If I set the scale to match that of the
primary axis then the data doesn't show up at all. if I use a smaller scale
such as 1-12, then the data displayed is irrelevant. What I really need is
the ability to show an occasional label on the Series C (bean temp)
indicating gas pressure at that time & temp point. The secondary axis
doesn't "track" with the series C.

Thanks,
David

DavidJ726 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
DavidJ726

Hi Kelly,

You and Andy (whom I just responded to) are both saying the same thing. I
guess I need to go back and try again. But when I plotted the series using
the secondary axis, and tried various ranges, the data was either at the
bottom of the chart, or when using a smaller scale, the data was accurate
just not displayed in a meaningful location. What I really need is for the
pressure reading to be displayed on the line at the corresponding time and
temp using the primary axis. Does that make sense? ( I wish we could post
snapshots he-))

Thanks,
David...

"DavidJ726" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

You can use a free addin to link the 1-12 scores to the data labels on
the Bean Temp series.
Try Rob Bovey's xy chart labeler.
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm

Obviously this will display a value for every time point so you may need
to use another column with a formula that only displays interesting
data, for example when ever the pressure changes (assuming it doesn't
change with every data point).

Cheers
Andy

DavidJ726 wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
DavidJ726

That did it! Thanks :-)

You're correct in assuming that the gas pressure doesn't change all that
often, perhaps a dozen time in a roast (and yes, the data is in a separate
column)

I can now return to my normally unscheduled madness.

Thanks again,
David

DavidJ726 wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Kelly O'Day

David

Why don't you send me your file and I'll see what I can do.

...Kelly