-   -   How do I set up inches per Minute/Second in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/77524-how-do-i-set-up-inches-per-minute-second-excel.html)

Denise

How do I set up inches per Minute/Second in Excel

I need to know how to take a known inch per Minute and divide by a known
measurement and displayed as minutes and seconds. The answer of the equation
(minutes and seconds) is where I'm having trouble.

Jon Peltier

How do I set up inches per Minute/Second in Excel

Actually, you need to divide your measured length by the known rate (inches
per minute). This gives you the number of minutes, but to display using m:ss
format you need to divide by 1440, the number of minutes per day (since
Excel counts time as the fraction of a day).

So put your measurement in A2, your rate in B2, and this formula into C2:

=A2/B2/1440

Then format C2 using a custom number format of

m:ss

If you want fractional seconds, use m:ss.0, m:ss.00, or m:ss.000 (the most
you'll get is thousandths).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______