Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
John

Default How can I set month/quarter/annual date intervals

I have data collected on a daily basis (for work days) over several years,
and I want to plot it on an X-Y plot versus date. I would like the monthly
intervals showing on the scale to be like 1/1/04, 2/1/04, 3/1/04, etc.
Similarly, for annual intervals, 1/1/03, 1/1/04, 1/1/05, etc. Excel just
wants to put in the same number of days for the intervals. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Kelly O'Day

It sounds like you are using an XY chart.

For XY trend charts, I often run into the issue you are talking about
frequently. I use a few formatting tricks:

For my X Axis number format I double click the X axis to get Format Axis
window. I select number tab and enter my date format. For monthly data
spanning years, I use "mmm'yy" which will show up as Mar'06 on the chart X
axis.

For my interval, I use 32 days to make sure that I get my months to
increment.

I have several trend chart examples at
http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_trend_chart.htm

...Kelly

"John" wrote in message
I have data collected on a daily basis (for work days) over several years,
and I want to plot it on an X-Y plot versus date. I would like the monthly
intervals showing on the scale to be like 1/1/04, 2/1/04, 3/1/04, etc.
Similarly, for annual intervals, 1/1/03, 1/1/04, 1/1/05, etc. Excel just
wants to put in the same number of days for the intervals. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
John

Thanks, Kelly, but this did not work for me. When I used 32 days, after about
every 20 months, it skipped a month on the axis, as if it were "rounding" to
the nearest month.

I have an old chart that has on the x-axis, 1/4/99, 2/4/99, 3/4/99, etc
through 8/4/04. Unfortunately all I have is a printed copy and have lost the
Excel file from which it was printed. So I know it can be done, but I just
can't figure it out.

"John" wrote in message
I have data collected on a daily basis (for work days) over several years,
and I want to plot it on an X-Y plot versus date. I would like the monthly
intervals showing on the scale to be like 1/1/04, 2/1/04, 3/1/04, etc.
Similarly, for annual intervals, 1/1/03, 1/1/04, 1/1/05, etc. Excel just
wants to put in the same number of days for the intervals. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Kelly O'Day

John:

How many months of data do you have to chart?

Have you tried 2 month interval (63 days)?
What about quarter (94 days)?

...Kelly

"John" wrote in message
I have data collected on a daily basis (for work days) over several
years,
and I want to plot it on an X-Y plot versus date. I would like the
monthly
intervals showing on the scale to be like 1/1/04, 2/1/04, 3/1/04, etc.
Similarly, for annual intervals, 1/1/03, 1/1/04, 1/1/05, etc. Excel
just
wants to put in the same number of days for the intervals. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
John

Kelly,
It varies. Sometimes I have 5 years worth, so that would be 60 months. Since
months, quarters, and years are of different lengths, having a certain number
of days as the major unit on the scale doesn't work out. Is there a way to
tell Excel to have as the major unit on the scale months or quarters or
years, even though the data are plotted by days? This is a format axis issue,
and I have done it before, but don't remember how.
John

"John" wrote in message
I have data collected on a daily basis (for work days) over several
years,
and I want to plot it on an X-Y plot versus date. I would like the
monthly
intervals showing on the scale to be like 1/1/04, 2/1/04, 3/1/04, etc.
Similarly, for annual intervals, 1/1/03, 1/1/04, 1/1/05, etc. Excel
just
wants to put in the same number of days for the intervals. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
John

Kelly,
Success! Whoopee!
I finally figured it out. Instead of an X-Y chart, use a Line chart. Then I
can have the major units as months.
John