Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Sandi

Default xy Scatter chart

I will try to explain this to the best of my knowledge:

I have a spreadsheet with some information that is set up like this:

Example Risk Impact Probability
Director Trls Med 3 1
Wrong Trips High 4 3
Upgrade JAX Low 1 1

These numbers are generated from a series of questions that determine wether
the risk is a high, med, or low factor. So there is really no way of knowing
what numbers determines a Low, Med, or High Risk The numbers will never go
higher than a 4 and lower than a 1. Adding them up the highest number you can
get is an 8. I am trying to graph these there where the high numbers will be
at the top, the medium in the middle and the lower in at the bottom of the
chart. I think there will have to be an IF function in here of some kind but
am at a loss of where to even start or if this even makes sense. Any help
will be appreciated. The person that wants this chart wanted to know if
Excel has the capabilities of using Polar Notations or Carteasan Coordinates?

--
Sandi Gardner
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jerry W. Lewis

Excel natively plots using Cartesian coordinates. However, you can fake
polar coordinates
http://www.andypope.info/charts/polarplot.htm

For risk analysis, I am more used to seeing risk and probability multiplied
rather than added, but risk is usaually assessed on a broader scale. For
instance, you might have several aspects of quality, such as
- business continuity
- product quality
- regulatory impact
each on a numeric scale, where you would add the risk factors together then
multiply by probability of occurrance.

As for where to place the boundaries for Low, Med, & High risk, I would
agree that your low and high risk examples are correctly categorized; but I
question the medium risk example, since its probability of occurrance is at
the lowest possible level.

Jerry