Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Scott Burke

Default Pie Charts

I am trying to use a pie chart. What I wont to do is this.
Cell M1 = How much money I made this month.
Cell M4 = How much I wrote in checks.

I wont the pie chart to show "M1" that is the pie it self = "M1"
and I wont the pie slice (one slice) to show "M4"

I cant seem to get the pie chart to equal "M1". "M1" allways shows up as a
slice it self.

Can it be done?

Scott Burke
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Tushar Mehta

In some cell, say M5, enter =M1-M4.

Plot M4:M5. The first slice will be M4. The 2nd slice will represent the
savings for the month. The total pie, of course, will represent the money
made in the month.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
I am trying to use a pie chart. What I wont to do is this.
Cell M1 = How much money I made this month.
Cell M4 = How much I wrote in checks.

I wont the pie chart to show "M1" that is the pie it self = "M1"
and I wont the pie slice (one slice) to show "M4"

I cant seem to get the pie chart to equal "M1". "M1" allways shows up as a
slice it self.

Can it be done?

Scott Burke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Scott Burke

Hi Tushar. Thank you for your time. Maybe I did not explain what I was
after.
Let me try again.
1) I wont the hole pie to equal "M1". example M1 = 500
I wont the hole pie to equal 500

2) I wont the slice of pie to equal "M4". example M4 = 100

I wont only ONE (1) slice in the pie. That slice should equal = 100 or
1/5 of the pie.

how do I assign the whole pie a value????

Scott Burke

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

In some cell, say M5, enter =M1-M4.

Plot M4:M5. The first slice will be M4. The 2nd slice will represent the
savings for the month. The total pie, of course, will represent the money
made in the month.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
I am trying to use a pie chart. What I wont to do is this.
Cell M1 = How much money I made this month.
Cell M4 = How much I wrote in checks.

I wont the pie chart to show "M1" that is the pie it self = "M1"
and I wont the pie slice (one slice) to show "M4"

I cant seem to get the pie chart to equal "M1". "M1" allways shows up as a
slice it self.

Can it be done?

Scott Burke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Tushar Mehta

If you take a slice out of a pie you are *always* left with at least one
more piece -- unless, of course, the slice is the size of the pie itself.

Try it with a real pie and see.

Bottom line...it is impossible to have just one slice in a pie if that slice
is smaller than the pie.

With my solution you will have two slices. One that represents the amount
of money you wrote checks for, the other the amount that you did not.

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

In some cell, say M5, enter =M1-M4.

Plot M4:M5. The first slice will be M4. The 2nd slice will represent the
savings for the month. The total pie, of course, will represent the money
made in the month.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
I am trying to use a pie chart. What I wont to do is this.
Cell M1 = How much money I made this month.
Cell M4 = How much I wrote in checks.

I wont the pie chart to show "M1" that is the pie it self = "M1"
and I wont the pie slice (one slice) to show "M4"

I cant seem to get the pie chart to equal "M1". "M1" allways shows up as a
slice it self.

Can it be done?

Scott Burke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi Scott,

As Tushar points out your pie chart must contain 2 values.
For easy of chart creation use the following cell values.

M1: =500
M4: =100
M5: =M1-M4

Select the range M4:M5 and use the chart wizard to create a 2 slice pie
chart. Click the pie and then click the second slice. Press CRTL+1 to
bring up the Format Data Point dialog. Set the Area and Border colours
to None. This will leave you a slice 1/5th of the pie.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel