Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
MH UK

Default Editing the screen tip on a scatter graph

I have a scatter graph but would like to be able to edit the screen tip -
when I hover over a point the screen tip shows the x and y values. I have a
look up to the x value - this is not ideal as the x value may not be unique
and requires the user to input the x value to a cell for the look up to
retrieve the required data.

Is there any way that I can edit the data source that the screen-tip / hover
displays (e.g. offsetting from the column the data value is retrieved from)
or do I have to merge my x and y values to ensure that the look-up is
searching a unique value.

Thanks in anticipation
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

You can't edit the chart tip, but you can fake it with chart event macros
and custom formatted textboxes. It's a lot of work, but you can download
Tushar Mehta's free Chart Hover Label utility to handle it for you, from
http://tushar-mehta.com.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"MH UK" wrote in message
I have a scatter graph but would like to be able to edit the screen tip -
when I hover over a point the screen tip shows the x and y values. I have
look up to the x value - this is not ideal as the x value may not be
unique
and requires the user to input the x value to a cell for the look up to
retrieve the required data.

Is there any way that I can edit the data source that the screen-tip /
hover
displays (e.g. offsetting from the column the data value is retrieved
from)
or do I have to merge my x and y values to ensure that the look-up is
searching a unique value.

Thanks in anticipation

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
MH UK

Thanks Jon.
I will try not to be put off by "It's a lot of work" and see what I can do.