Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
otyokwa

Default Is there a way to split the y-axis values in a chart?

I am trying to make a scatter graph with some high values and some low values
-say 0 to 100 and 900 to 1000. Is there a way to have the y-axis display 0
to 100 then a line with values 900 to 1000 above the line?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

Here are some examples of split axis.

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html
http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgr...ial/index.html
http://www.andypope.info/charts/brokencolumn.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
otyokwa

What if the numbers are in the middle of a scatter chart - Have data 0 to 100
and then 900 to 1000? I would like to cut out the middle numbers - 200 to
800...

otyokwa wrote:
I am trying to make a scatter graph with some high values and some low values
-say 0 to 100 and 900 to 1000. Is there a way to have the y-axis display 0
to 100 then a line with values 900 to 1000 above the line?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

Then you will need two breaks, no?
Although to be honest remove a strip of 100 from the top and bottom
halves of the chart will not make the data in between much clearer if
that is the point of breaking the axis.

Cheers
Andy

otyokwa wrote:

I am trying to make a scatter graph with some high values and some low values
-say 0 to 100 and 900 to 1000. Is there a way to have the y-axis display 0
to 100 then a line with values 900 to 1000 above the line?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
otyokwa

no, I am interested in doing just the opposite. My values are 1 to 100 and
900 to 1000 (1,5,10,900,950,1000) So I would like to have the graph have
values 0 - 100 with a split and then 900 to 1000. The links you showed for
the scatter graph did not have an example with the middle numbers cut out.
Thanks for the links though, I need to make those types also!!

otyokwa wrote:

I am trying to make a scatter graph with some high values and some low values
-say 0 to 100 and 900 to 1000. Is there a way to have the y-axis display 0
to 100 then a line with values 900 to 1000 above the line?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

I suggest you reread my example, which shows the range 0 to 7 million below
the break, and the range 22 to 25 million above.

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP