Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Stacey

Default Need to compare data in 2 columns and not sure how.

Hello,

I have two columns of data that I want to compare. Here is an example of
how they look.
Tone Depth
4 3
5 5
3 2
3 3
3 2
3 2
2 3
2 3
4 4
3 1
3 2
3 1
3 3
3 1
3 3
4 4
3 2
4 3
4 3
4 4
4 3
3 5
3 2

As you can see, there are several points where a Tone of 3 can have a depth
of 5 or 2 or various other numbers between 1 and 5. Tone has the same range
of numbers.

I want to create a chart that compares Tone in terms of Depth, i.e., if it
has a Tone value of 4, it will show the quantitve numbers of correlating
depth values as in (there are 2 entries with a tone of 4 and a depth of 4,
and 1 entry with a Tone of 4 and a depth of 5, and 8 entries with a tone of
4 and a depth of 3, etc.)

I want it to show this for each tone Value, 1-5. I'm not sure how I would
go about creating this chart. Could anyone help me?

As you can see, it's all in two columns, so I would like for excel to pull
out the summary data (i.e. the number of depth entries for each tone type)
by itself so that I don't have to do it manually, if possible. If I were to
do it manually, it might resemble something like this (does not match with
chart above.)

Tone 1
_______
Depth of 1=0
Depth of 2=2
Depth of 3=8
Depth of 4=1
Depth of 5=1

Tone 2
_______
Depth of 1=5
Depth of 2=7
Depth of 3=10
Depth of 4=3
Depth of 5=5

Tone 3
_______
Depth of 1=2
Depth of 2=2
Depth of 3=3
Depth of 4=8
Depth of 5=12

Tone 4
_______
Depth of 1=3
Depth of 2=2
Depth of 3=6
Depth of 4=3
Depth of 5=4

Tone 5
_______
Depth of 1=0
Depth of 2=2
Depth of 3=1
Depth of 4=0
Depth of 5=0

Let me know if you can help! I'm new to charting in Excel.

Thanks!

--Stacey