Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
bioteker

Default how to plot an XY chart with labels specified by separate column

I want to plot a simple XY graph with data labels on the chart supplied by a
column different than the data used to plot the data points.
I know you can individually click on each label and change it manually, but
I've got 50 points.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

Manually you can link data labels to cells by selecting the individual
data label and then entering the cell reference via the formula bar.

There is no quick way to do this without code but Rob Bovey has a free
addin available that will make this chore a breeze.
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Vipul

Default how to plot an XY chart with labels specified by separate colu

This is real good...it has solved all my problems. Thank you Very Much.

bioteker wrote:
I want to plot a simple XY graph with data labels on the chart supplied by a
column different than the data used to plot the data points.
I know you can individually click on each label and change it manually, but
I've got 50 points.

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Ever since switching from an early spreadsheet program that I think was
called VBB or something back in the early 90's I have been frustrated at not
being able to do this. It was such a useful trick that I used all the time
back then.
I must try the add-in suggested. Why does it not come standard with Excel???
So if I install the add-in and then send my spreadsheet to a colleage who
has not installed the add-in, will the graph display correctly?

"bioteker" wrote:

I want to plot a simple XY graph with data labels on the chart supplied by a
column different than the data used to plot the data points.
I know you can individually click on each label and change it manually, but
I've got 50 points.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

No need for the addin to be present on the recipients machine.
The addin, amongst other things, automates the manual task of linking
data labels to cells.

Cheers
Andy