Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
mcarrington

Default insert excel charts as objects

Hi,

I insert excel charts into publisher using the insert object command.
It allows me to double click on the chart and modify it in excel even
though it has been pasted in publisher. I have two problems with this.
The first is that I am drastically shrinking the charts and when I try
to modify them in excel they often become distorted. The second problem
I have is that I would like to shrink the chart before inserting it into
publisher. Is there a way to do this while also shrinking the
background? Now I just end up with a small chart, but tons of blank
space around it that gets inserted as well. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Megan

--
mcarrington
mcarrington's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21641

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
DDearborn

I've struggled with the same issue myself. I haven't been able to come up
with a good solution. Sorry I can't give you anything helpful. I see you've
been waiting for a response for awhile so I thought I'd let you know I've
tried to do the same. I hope someone else has a solution. - D

"mcarrington" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Bernard Liengme

Megan,
Do you really need the chart to be updateable? If not make the chart in
Excel and copy and paste as picture

If you do then make the chart in Excel and copy and paste as a linked
object. Then do the updating in Excel.

As you both found, opening an Excel worksheet in another application has
serious pitfalls.
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"mcarrington" wrote:

Hi,

I insert excel charts into publisher using the insert object command.
It allows me to double click on the chart and modify it in excel even
though it has been pasted in publisher. I have two problems with this.
The first is that I am drastically shrinking the charts and when I try
to modify them in excel they often become distorted. The second problem
I have is that I would like to shrink the chart before inserting it into
publisher. Is there a way to do this while also shrinking the
background? Now I just end up with a small chart, but tons of blank
space around it that gets inserted as well. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Megan

--
mcarrington
mcarrington's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

The way to make the chart the right size in Excel, assuming you're inserting
a chart on its own sheet, is described by Stephanie Krieger:

http://www.arouet.net/archives/2004/...g_excel_ch.php
http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/getw...celtoword.mspx

Although Stephanie is sizing the chart to paste into Word, the process is
the same: determine the size you need, figure the margins around the chart
that center it within the page. Now when you copy and paste as an object,
the chart is already sized to fit.

You probably will get even more accurate results if you save and close the
workbook (with the chart as the active sheet), then insert it from the file.
At least with PowerPoint and Word, this is the best way to insert the chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services