Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
UH

Default Column Chart Error Bar

Hi All,

I have the following table

day Night
Mean 159.44 161.07
SD 1.58 1.84

The second raw is the mean value and the third is the standard
deviation of some data in day and night. I used Column Chart to Show
the differences between the Mean value of results in Day and Night. I
wanted to use the standard deviation for the Y-Error bar. But when I
try to do that, I can only assign on of the Sd(1.58 or 1.84) for both
of the column. I wonder to know if it is possible to assign different
SD for different Column.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
vandenberg p

You need to plot the two values as two different series. Then
you can assign different error bars to each one.

The way I prefer to do it is to click on the chart wizard without
selecting either series. When the wizards start select column chart
and then next; on the next screen select series and then "add."
Add the first one (say day), you will see three cell selection boxes,
the first is name (choose the cell with "day" in it); the next is
values (choose the cell with "159.44" in it); the final one is
X axis labels (choose the cell with "Mean" in it). Then click
Add and repeat for the night one. You now have two bars, different
colors and you should be able to see the error bars separately
for each one.

Pieter Vandenberg

UH wrote:
: Hi All,

: I have the following table

: day Night
: Mean 159.44 161.07
: SD 1.58 1.84

: The second raw is the mean value and the third is the standard
: deviation of some data in day and night. I used Column Chart to Show
: the differences between the Mean value of results in Day and Night. I
: wanted to use the standard deviation for the Y-Error bar. But when I
: try to do that, I can only assign on of the Sd(1.58 or 1.84) for both
: of the column. I wonder to know if it is possible to assign different
: SD for different Column.

: Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Nope, it's not so complicated. Add error bars to the series, then use the
Custom Plus and Custom Minus data entry boxes to select the range that
contains your SD values. See this page for more information:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ErrorBars.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP