Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
jantoni

Default Is there a limit to the number of points in a chart source data

I'm trying to put in a value range in a chart. The cells are every other
cell. When I start selecting the cells I can only click on 10 cells. On
number 11 I get a bell sound and the value source data block goes back to
displaying only a =.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

There is a limit to the number of data points, 32k, but that is not the
limit you are hitting. The series formula has a limit.
The series formula looks something like this. This is for a chart based
on data in B2:B5 with axis labels in A2:A5 and series name in B1.

=SERIES(Sheet1!$B$1,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$5,Sheet1!$B$2:$ B$5,1)

this is the same chart but with on two non-adjacent cells.
=SERIES(Sheet1!$B$1,(Sheet1!$A$2,Sheet1!$A$4),(She et1!$B$2,Sheet1!$B$4),1)

Notice the formula is longer but with fewer data points. The length of
the formula is approx 1000 characters. So you can how quickly you are
going to exceed the limit with only a few points.

The way around this is to build a contiguous array of chart data.

Jon Peltier has some more detailed explanation on charts and the data
sources.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...esFormula.html
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...iffSheets.html

Cheers