Barb

Default Formatting Legend Key Markers

I am using Excel 97 and making line graphs with numerous data sets plotted.
After making the graph, I am modifying the legend key to sort the data. Each
data set has two lines, period one and period two. I want the same symbol
and color for each data set, with a solid line for period one and a dashed
line for period two. I am not interested in creating custom markers; I am
content with the variety of of markers in the program. However, my question
is this:

When I go to format the legend key, the markers available in the custom drop
down box seem to be available in two distinct groups. Sometimes the drop
down box displays 9 solid shapes (triangle, diamond, square, etc.) to choose
from and sometimes it displays 9 outline shapes (X, +, etc). Why are all 18
not available each time? This is creating problems because if one set within
a data pair has the different set of markers to choose from it becomes
difficult to match them up (only a few shapes are in both sets).

Any assistance is appreciated - I have many graphs to prepare and this is
turning into a cumbersome time consuming task.

Andy Pope

The difference in the markers is dependent on their foreground and
background colours. If they are both the same you get the solid markers.
Try setting the Foreground colour to black and the background colour to
red in order to see the various crosses on square markers.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel