Phil Hageman

Default Custom X-axis Labels

What would the cell formula be to make these x-axis labels? I want only to
change the date in the first cell and have the next five dates be one week
later. I presume it is an append (&) but cant figure it out:

Cell D4 Cell E4
Cell G4
= €śReported€ť & 9/13/05 =€ťReported€ť & D4+7 €¦. =€ťProjected€ť & F4+7 etc

The x-axis column labels would look like this:

Reported Reported Reported Projected Projected Projected
13 Sep 05 20 Sep 05 27 Sep 05 4 Oct 05 11 Oct 05 18 Oct 05

Jon Peltier

Phil -

There are two ways to do this. First is with a formula in one row:

="Reported"&CHAR(10)&TEXT(A1,"dd mmm yy")

where CHAR(10) is a linefeed, and A1 contains the date you want in the cell.

The other way is to put your desired axis labels into two columns. In
fact, if you put all your data like this:

Values
13 Sep 05 Reported [data]
20 Sep 05 Reported [data]
27 Sep 05 Reported [data]
4 Oct 05 Projected [data]
11 Oct 05 Projected [data]
18 Ovt 05 Projected [data]

with blank cells above the two left hand columns, then run the chart
wizard, Excel will automatically use the dates and other labels as
category axis labels.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP