kahlua_bundy

Default Getting an Equation

Hey people.

This may seem like a stupid question, but I have been told by my Uni
lecturer that it can be done...but I have no idea how.

Here's the thing:

I have three points of data (-3.576, -4.200 and -6.908) at time (0,1,2)
resectively. I kinda get how to plot them, but I want to get a line of
best fit and then be able to get the equation for that line (eg.
y=mx+b) He says you have to click on one f the points, but then I'm
completely lost.

Any help would really be appreciated!

KB

--
kahlua_bundy
kahlua_bundy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27338

Barb Reinhardt

First, your chart should be an XY scatter chart.
Select the series, right click and ADD TRENDLINE.
Choose the regression type you want.
Then Select the TREND LINE and double click.
On the options tab, select DISPLAY EQUATION ON CHART and Display R-squared
value on chart.

"kahlua_bundy"
wrote in message
news:kahlua_bundy.1vhlub_1126933524.2661@excelforu m-nospam.com...

Hey people.

This may seem like a stupid question, but I have been told by my Uni
lecturer that it can be done...but I have no idea how.

Here's the thing:

I have three points of data (-3.576, -4.200 and -6.908) at time (0,1,2)
resectively. I kinda get how to plot them, but I want to get a line of
best fit and then be able to get the equation for that line (eg.
y=mx+b) He says you have to click on one f the points, but then I'm
completely lost.

Any help would really be appreciated!

KB

--
kahlua_bundy
kahlua_bundy's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=468439

sirsoto

Default Making a line in a graph

Barb,

I am trying to graph my data using the regression feature. Can this be
done? I've plotted my data using the chart wizard but I do not see an option
that would allow Excel to graph the regression line through the points?

paul

wrote in message
news:kahlua_bundy.1vhlub_1126933524.2661@excelforu m-nospam.com...

Hey people.

This may seem like a stupid question, but I have been told by my Uni
lecturer that it can be done...but I have no idea how.

Here's the thing:

I have three points of data (-3.576, -4.200 and -6.908) at time (0,1,2)
resectively. I kinda get how to plot them, but I want to get a line of
best fit and then be able to get the equation for that line (eg.
y=mx+b) He says you have to click on one f the points, but then I'm
completely lost.

Any help would really be appreciated!

KB

--
kahlua_bundy
kahlua_bundy's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=468439

Jon Peltier

You don't want the "Regression" feature (which is in the Analysis Toolpak), you want
the "Trendline" feature (which is an in-built chart feature). Select the series, and
on the Chart menu, choose Add Trendline, and follow the rest of Barbara's instructions.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services