fendwick

Default Is numeric "Series Axis" possible?

When I make a simple 3-D surface chart in Excel, the "series axis" is
automatically displayed as S1, S2, etc. Is there a convenient way to
have that axis display numbers instead?

For example: the following surface is generated by multiplying the
x-value to the y-value:

5 10 15
4 8 12
2 3

However,the Y (series) axis (4 and 5) automatically defaults to S1 and
S2; I know I can change the names of the series to match, but I wish
they would change automatically if I were to change the Y-axis values
(e.g. from 4 and 5 to: 1 and 2)

2 4 6
1 2 3
2 3

Any ideas?

--
fendwick
fendwick's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9151

Jon Peltier

Do it this way, with the labels in the TOP row:

2 3
4 8 12
5 10 15

Make your chart with the data range that includes the top row and left
column (and blank top left cell).

Now, even though Excel doesn't recognize the numerical values of the
axis labels, at least it uses recognizable, meaningful labels.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

fendwick wrote:

When I make a simple 3-D surface chart in Excel, the "series axis" is
automatically displayed as S1, S2, etc. Is there a convenient way to
have that axis display numbers instead?

For example: the following surface is generated by multiplying the
x-value to the y-value:

5 10 15
4 8 12
2 3

However,the Y (series) axis (4 and 5) automatically defaults to S1 and
S2; I know I can change the names of the series to match, but I wish
they would change automatically if I were to change the Y-axis values
(e.g. from 4 and 5 to: 1 and 2)

2 4 6
1 2 3
2 3

Any ideas?

fendwick

Thanks, Jon: that fixed it right up!!! :)