Kelly

Default bubble chart

I am creating a bubble chart, and I am having a hard time getting the bubles
to scale properly. I'm actually plotting XY coordinates with the radius
being the "uncertainy" of the position. The uncertainty is close to the same
value as the XY positions (ex. X=4, Y=7, R=8). The bubbles are coming up
much smaller than they should show. The "scale bubble size" option is set to
100% of default under the "format data series" dialog box. It's not the
problem that I am mixing up DIA or Radius.

I've found nothing in help or in FAQs. Can anyone help me out here.

Jon Peltier

In my other bubble chart article

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...wToBubble.html

I mention that a bubble chart's size value is in no way related to any
of the X or Y axis scales. The largest bubble in the chart keys the
sizes of all bubbles, and it is related to the "default" bubble size.
The default bubble size is about 1/4 of the smaller of the height or
width of the plot area, and you can tell Excel to scale bubbles to
anywhere from 0 to 300% of the default size. If you want to use the
bubble to indicate uncertainty, you need to do some additional work,
using the time honored approaches of algebra and trial-and-error,
relating bubble sizes to chart sizes.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP