Zimtok5

Default How do I use a server name in an Excel chart file path?

Currently, I have a chart in my open workbook that was copied from an
external workbook and I have changed all the file locations to match where
the data is coming from in the original workbook. However, the source file
is on a shared network drive on a server that is mapped under different names
on each machine on the network. I have tried changing the links to the
standard '\\server\drive\directory' format as shown below, but to no avail.
The chart 'source data' dialog boxes do not allow this and say the "Reference
is not valid. Reference must be to an open workbook."

When I use this syntax, it works:
G:\OVERHAULS\2005\source.xls

When I use the specific server location, it doesn't:
\\sierra\psop$\OVERHAULS\2005\source.xls

I have tried to use concatenation with a user-defined cell input to identify
the correct drive and to attach it to the rest of the formula, (ex. =A1 &
":\OVERHAULS\2005\source.xls")) but the chart input dialog won't accept the
cell reference, even when the exact workbook and sheet is specified.

If anyone can assist in this matter, it would be greatly appreciated!
Barb Reinhardt

I have accessed data in closed workbooks using the INDIRECT.EXT

http://xcell05.free.fr/english/index...func_Functions

I have docs that take forever to update because of server access speed (or
lack thereof).