iconic83

Default overlay two graphs with different x axis

hi there i'm having trouble trying to overlay 2 graphs together, they
are shown below.

'cost graph'
(http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/4...stgraph7bj.jpg)

'phase graph'
(http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/9...segraph5oo.jpg)

the data used is shown he

'data' (http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/8226/data1vl.jpg)

for the cost graph, it is a standard line graph: y axis is I9:I24, x
axis is K9:K24

for the phase graph, it is a stacked column graph with a hidden data
series: y axis is stacked K3:K6 and L3:L6, and the x axis is G3:G6

is it possible to overlay these graphs together given the y axis are
the same

thanks!
peter

--
iconic83
iconic83's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26395

Jon Peltier

Make the chart with both sets of data. Double click one series, and on
the Axis tab, select Secondary. Go to Chart Options on the Chart menu,
choose Axes tab, uncheck secondary Y axis but check secondary X axis.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

iconic83 wrote:
hi there i'm having trouble trying to overlay 2 graphs together, they
are shown below.

'cost graph'
(http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/4...stgraph7bj.jpg)

'phase graph'
(http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/9...segraph5oo.jpg)

the data used is shown he

'data' (http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/8226/data1vl.jpg)

for the cost graph, it is a standard line graph: y axis is I9:I24, x
axis is K9:K24

for the phase graph, it is a stacked column graph with a hidden data
series: y axis is stacked K3:K6 and L3:L6, and the x axis is G3:G6

is it possible to overlay these graphs together given the y axis are
the same

thanks!
peter

iconic83

hi jon i can't get it to work. i've tried making a stacked column graph
and standard line graph with both sets of data... would you please
provide more details?

thanks!
peter

--
iconic83
iconic83's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26395
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401395

Jon Peltier

Make your stacked column chart. Copy the data for the line series,
select the chart, and use Edit menu Paste Special to add the series.
Select the new series, and go to Chart menu Chart Type to change it to
a line. Double click this new line series, and on the Axis tab, choose
Secondary. Now go to Chart menu Chart Options, and on the Axes tab,
choose the assortment of axes you need.

- Jon
-------