Carl Bowman

Default How To Refresh Chart Data Without Calculating The Worksheet

I am trying to refresh a chart in an Excel 2000 worksheet without
recalculating the whole worksheet. Tried using the following syntax to no
avail (this is not a pivot chart):

ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 70").Select
ActiveChart.Refresh

Thanks,
Carl

John Mansfield

Carl,

Please try one of these:

Sub RefreshChart1()
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 70").Activate
ActiveChart.Refresh
End Sub

or

Sub RefreshChart2()
Dim Cht As Chart
Set Cht = ActiveChart
Cht.Refresh
End Sub

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Carl Bowman" wrote:

I am trying to refresh a chart in an Excel 2000 worksheet without
recalculating the whole worksheet. Tried using the following syntax to no
avail (this is not a pivot chart):

ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 70").Select
ActiveChart.Refresh

Thanks,
Carl

Carl Bowman

Thanks John, but neither worked. I even tried several variations of your
commands with no help. I know the chart is working correctly because I can
calculate the worksheet and the chart updates fine but that is not an option.
Please let me know if you have any other ides.
Carl

"Carl Bowman" wrote:

I am trying to refresh a chart in an Excel 2000 worksheet without
recalculating the whole worksheet. Tried using the following syntax to no
avail (this is not a pivot chart):

ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 70").Select
ActiveChart.Refresh

Thanks,
Carl

John Mansfield

Carl

Would this work . . hopefully the effect is to disconnect the source range
and then connect it again. As a result, the chart refreshes without having
to perform a recalculation:

Sub ResetSourceData()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
On Error Resume Next
ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 70").Activate
ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
ActiveChart.Delete
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B8:C11")
End Sub

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Carl Bowman" wrote:

I am trying to refresh a chart in an Excel 2000 worksheet without
recalculating the whole worksheet. Tried using the following syntax to no
avail (this is not a pivot chart):

ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 70").Select
ActiveChart.Refresh

Thanks,
Carl

Carl Bowman

John, That was a great try but it also did not work, even when I tried
several variations. I even tried rebooting the pc and creating a completely
new file and chart just in case. Thanks for trying.
Carl

"Carl Bowman" wrote:

I am trying to refresh a chart in an Excel 2000 worksheet without
recalculating the whole worksheet. Tried using the following syntax to no
avail (this is not a pivot chart):

ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 70").Select
ActiveChart.Refresh

Thanks,
Carl

Jon Peltier

Carl -

This probably won't work, then, either, but it's a thought I had reading up to this
point:

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Formula = _
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Formula

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP